Electricity and Magnetism for Engineers Texts

In summary, a physics student recommends two textbooks: "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and "Engineering Electromagnetics" by Hayt and Buck. One text, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David.J.Griffith, is also recommended.
discoverer02
I just finished a Physics course in Electricity and Magnetism and never worked so hard for a 'B' in a class. I'd really like to go over the material once more to get a better handle on it during our break. I was thinking that a fresh approach with a different text might help, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations on textbooks. We used Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway, but I also have Engineering Electromagnetics by Hayt and Buck.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven's seen Hayt's book but I have an excellent book he wrote on electronic circuits so it should be good. I really found Field & Wave Electromagnetics by David K. Cheng to be the most readable intro and it has an excellent chapter on vector calculus. That chapter alone was worth the money to me.

Engineering Electromagnetics by Inan and Inan is good too but it doesn't cover waves and is very expensive. The historical notes on who did what are interesting though.

The classic book for physicists on E&M is by Jackson but there are good reasons why it's used only in graduate school.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I found some reasonably priced used copy of David Cheng's book on Amazon and read some good reviews. I'm going to give it a try.

The books mentioned namely,Hyatt(though I find it to be relying too much on maths as a tool rather than sound physical explanations).

You should try out the book "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David.J.Griffith, an excellent text with great emphasis on physical reasoning.I think this should help.

I am including a link where you can find a freely downloadable text.Its good and you can explore further by following the several other links mentioned therein.

/www.plasma.uu.se/CED/Book

Regards.

1. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two separate but related phenomena. Electricity refers to the flow of electrons through a conductor, while magnetism is the force created by the movement of these electrons. In other words, electricity is the cause and magnetism is the effect.

2. How do electric charges interact with each other?

Electric charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. This force is responsible for the movement of electrons through conductors and the creation of magnetic fields.

3. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop through which electricity can flow. It consists of a power source, wires, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. Electric circuits allow for the controlled flow of electricity and are the basis of many modern technologies.

4. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field around them. This field is created by the alignment of electrons in the magnet, which creates a North and South pole. Like poles repel each other, while opposite poles attract, allowing magnets to stick to each other or to certain metals.

5. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related and are part of the same fundamental force known as electromagnetism. This force governs how electric charges and magnetic fields interact with each other. It also explains many natural phenomena, such as the Earth's magnetic field and the way electric motors and generators work.