Gravitational waves and negative energy.

In summary, there is a link between gravitational waves and negative energy, as in the presence of large gravitational fields, negative energy fields are common. This was discussed in Michio Kaku's book "Parallel Worlds", where he used the analogy of a donkey in a hole to explain negative energy locations. However, there is no theoretical way for negative energy to exist on its own and it cannot fall into a black hole as it is gravitationally repulsive. Some forms of negative energy do exist, but there are no known sources of large amounts of negative energy with a negative mass. Negative energy should also not be confused with antimatter, which has a positive mass like all other forms of matter.
alias25
I was wondering what's the link between gravitational waves and negative energy, i heard that 'in the presence of large gravitational fields, negative energy fields are rather common' from one of michio kaku's book. what's the link between gravitational fields and gravitational waves/ gravity and gravitational waves.
edit: can negative matter ever fall into a black hole? i don't think they can because theyre repelled by matter but if they did, because they have antigravity, would they reduce the strength of a gravitational field some how antigravity cancelling gravity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that was Michio Kaku's "Parallel Worlds", where he was talking about a donkey in a hole. In layman's terms, you have to expend energy to climb out of the hole, so you can view the hole as a negative energy location. Then if you mentally replace the hole with a "gravitational field", you can perceive this as a "negative energy field". Maybe one of the experts will step in here for some precise advise.

PS: I don't like the word field myself, because we're talking about a location with properties, and "field" tends to assign a physical existence to the properties rather than the thing or region that has the properties.

PPS: I don't know about negative matter. And I'm not a fan of parallel universes.

Last edited:
yea! a reply
Im keeping an open mind about all things until I understand most stuff even the most strangest, wakyest ideas. That's kinda why i didnt mention the title of the book, I know some people won't want to get involved in anything relating to such ideas.

I'm not sure I can tell you anything that you can't find in the book. Classical GR has in the past assumed that there is no such thing as "negative energy" in many important theorems. Quantum mechanical effects such as the Casimir force, and cosmological observations such as "dark energy", suggest that negative energy probably does exist, even though it's pretty weird.

My high school physics teacher said something about "gravity being negative energy" but I never fully understood his point. This clarifiess alot. Thanks.

alias25 said:
edit: can negative matter ever fall into a black hole?

If negative matter means antimatter, then it probably has as much inertia/energy/weight as normal matter.. rather than cancelling some of the black hole's mass, it would add to that mass (sure, annihilating with whatever matter it encounters, but only to radiate the equivalent mass-energy.. and since radiation can't escape either..)

cesiumfrog said:
If negative matter means antimatter, then it probably has as much inertia/energy/weight as normal matter.. rather than cancelling some of the black hole's mass, it would add to that mass (sure, annihilating with whatever matter it encounters, but only to radiate the equivalent mass-energy.. and since radiation can't escape either..)
Antimatter is not negative matter! So the rest of your statement seems correct.

If negative energy could exist on its own, then it probably could not fall into a black hole. Because negative energy is predicted to be gravitationally repulsive, it should be just as impossible for such energy to enter a black hole as it is for normal energy to exit one.

However, there is no theoretical way for negative energy to exist except as part of a system which posses a greater amount of positive energy, and that system as a whole could fall in through the Event Horizon.

There's a sneaky point here. If we somehow had a "lump" of negative energy, it would have a negative mass. While it is true that negative mass would be repelled by positive mass, it would also have an inertia equal to minus mv (by the equivalence principle), thus it would move in an opposite direction to the applied force, i.e. it would fall "down" just like normal matter.

Some forms of "negative energy" do appear to exist (the casimir force, the cosmological constant), but there are not any known sources of "big lumps" of such energy with a total negative mass.

Negative energy also should not be confused with antimatter, which is expected to have a postive mass just like everything else.

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime, caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars. They were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected by measuring tiny changes in the distance between objects caused by the passing of a gravitational wave. This is done using highly sensitive instruments, such as laser interferometers, which can detect changes in distance as small as one-thousandth the diameter of a proton.

3. What is negative energy in relation to gravitational waves?

Negative energy is a theoretical concept used to describe the energy associated with gravitational waves. It is a negative value because gravitational waves carry away energy from their source, causing a decrease in the mass and therefore a decrease in the positive energy of the system.

4. Can negative energy be harnessed for practical use?

No, negative energy is a highly theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist. Even if it did exist, harnessing it for practical use would require a level of technology far beyond our current capabilities.

5. Do gravitational waves travel at the speed of light?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravitational waves travel at the speed of light. This has been confirmed by observations of gravitational waves from distant sources, which arrived at Earth at the same time as electromagnetic waves from the same event.