Cutting Enclosures: Rectangular Opening Tool?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cutting
In summary, the conversation discusses cutting a rectangular opening in a metal box to expose an LED display. The person is looking for a tool that can make a clean cut, and has tried using a rotary but it did not provide a smooth cut. The speaker suggests using nibblers or a thin cutting disk on a dremel tool for smaller holes, and a jig saw for larger holes. They also mention the importance of file work for a smooth finish.
david90
I have this box and I need to cut a rectangular opening to expose my led display. My question is there a tool to make a clean cut of the rectangular shape opening? I tried using a rotary but it is not a very smooth cut. Is there a way to do it using everyday tools?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not sure what a rotary is? I will assume it is an metal box.

You give no idea of the size of the hole, that can make a lot of difference. I have used nibblers to do this sort of job. IF the hole is large they can be pretty tedious. Also it requires a lot of file work to smooth it out.

A thin cutting disk on a dremal like tool (is this your rotary?) can do a very nice job if you have patience.

For larger holes, dill a start hole then use a fine toothed blade in a jig saw.

Yes, there are several tools that can be used to make a clean and precise rectangular opening in an enclosure. One option is to use a jigsaw with a fine-toothed blade. This tool allows for more control and precision compared to a rotary tool. Another option is to use a handheld router with a straight bit. This tool is commonly used for woodworking and can provide a clean and smooth cut. Alternatively, if you do not have access to power tools, you can use a hand saw and a file to carefully cut and shape the opening. Whichever tool you choose, it is important to take your time and make precise measurements before cutting to ensure a clean and accurate opening for your LED display.

1. What is the purpose of a cutting enclosure?

A cutting enclosure is used to create a rectangular opening in a material, such as plastic or metal. This opening allows for easy access to the inside of the material for various purposes, such as installing components or creating a door or window.

2. How does a cutting enclosure work?

A cutting enclosure works by using a sharp tool, such as a drill or saw, to remove material in a rectangular shape. The tool is guided along the edges of the desired opening, cutting through the material and creating a clean, precise rectangular shape.

3. What materials can be used with a cutting enclosure?

A cutting enclosure can be used with a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, wood, and even glass. The type of material will determine the type of cutting tool needed and the method of cutting.

4. Are there different types of cutting enclosures?

Yes, there are different types of cutting enclosures available. Some are handheld tools, while others are attached to machines or devices. There are also different sizes and shapes of cutting enclosures, depending on the specific needs of the project.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when using a cutting enclosure?

When using a cutting enclosure, it is important to wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, to prevent any injuries from flying debris. The tool should also be handled carefully and used according to the manufacturer's instructions to avoid accidents.