Find Limit of Sequence: \sqrt{n} - \sqrt{n^2 - 1}

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the convergence of a given sequence and suggests using L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem. The conclusion is that the sequence diverges and this is proven by showing that it is bounded by a divergent sequence. The solution also involves using mathematical notation and comparing the given sequence to a function that tends towards negative infinity.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have to find out where this sequence converges or if it converges a all:

[tex] a_n = \sqrt{n} - \sqrt{n^2 - 1} [/tex]

Now, I can't seem to find a good method to solve this. Would my best bet be to use L'hopitals rule to find the limit of the equivalent function or should I try the squeeze theorem. Thats my question. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like it diverges, so show that it is bounded by a divergent sequence.

ok how the this sound as a complete solution?

An tends seems to tend toward negative infinity and diverge. I proove this by showing that a function which is always greater than it also tends toward negative infinity. I take the greater function to be the squareroot of n.([tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x}[tex]} This function tends toward negative infinity, so the corressponding sequence, and since this sequence is less than the sequence given, the sequence given will also tend toward negative infinity.

Of course in my solution i'll use more mathmatical notation, but is that the correct reasoning?

Yeah that's right. Except I think you mean the negative square root: [tex]f(x)=-\sqrt{x}[/tex]. And make sure you have in there: [tex]f(n) > a_n[/tex] for all [tex]n > a[/tex] (where you find a).

1. What is the formula for calculating the limit of a sequence?

The formula for calculating the limit of a sequence is lim(n→∞) an = L, where an is the nth term of the sequence and L is the limit as n approaches infinity.

2. How do you find the limit of a sequence using the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem states that if two sequences, an and bn, are both approaching the same limit L as n approaches infinity, and there exists a third sequence, cn, such that cn is always between an and bn, then cn must also approach L as n approaches infinity. Therefore, to find the limit of a sequence using the Squeeze Theorem, we must find two other sequences that approach the same limit as the original sequence and sandwich it in between them.

3. Can you explain the concept of a limit in terms of a sequence?

A limit in terms of a sequence is the value that a sequence approaches as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, it is the value that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to, but may never actually reach. The limit of a sequence can be calculated by finding the value that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to as the number of terms approaches infinity.

4. How do you find the limit of a sequence that involves a square root?

To find the limit of a sequence that involves a square root, we can use the technique of rationalizing the numerator. This involves multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the expression inside the square root. This will eliminate the square root in the numerator, allowing us to simplify the expression and then take the limit as n approaches infinity.

5. What is the limit of the sequence √n - √(n^2 - 1) as n approaches infinity?

The limit of this sequence is 0. This can be found by rationalizing the numerator and simplifying the expression to get 1/n. As n approaches infinity, 1/n approaches 0, therefore the limit of the original sequence is also 0.