What was the i-component of the wind velocity vector?

• Thread starter luckii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the pilot flew a distance of 800 km in 2.266 hours with an airspeed of 330 km/h, but had to adjust their heading to 20° east of north to reach their destination. This means that there is a wind velocity vector that must be accounted for. Using the formula distance = speed * time, the i-component of the wind velocity vector can be calculated by solving for the unknown side of the vector triangle.
luckii
My professor explained this problem but he said that it was so simple so he stopped and we all feel dumb. Please help if anyone knows how. Thanks.

A light plane attains an airspeed of 330 km/h. The pilot sets out for a destination 800 km to the north but discovers that the plane must be headed 20° east of north to fly there directly. The plane arrives in 2.266 h.
What was the i-component of the wind velocity vector (in km/h)?

What was the j-component of the wind velocity vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
distance = speed * time (assuming constant speed)

So the plane travels some distance with its airspeed (speed relative to air). But it is flying in the air 20° east from north to that distance.

What must the air be doing in the same period of time to get the plane to 800 km N?

One needs to define which direction is i and which is j (normal to i). Perhaps pick i to be due N, and j to be due east.

Last edited:
A light plane attains an airspeed of 330 km/h. The pilot sets out for a destination 800 km to the north but discovers that the plane must be headed 20° east of north to fly there directly. The plane arrives in 2.266 h.
What was the i-component of the wind velocity vector (in km/h)?

My inturpretation of the question is that he has to fly 20 degrees east of north to correct for wind.

If the plane is traveling at 330 km/h for 2.266 h then the distance travled = 330*2.266 = 747.78km

but the initial distance before the wind was 800, and we know there is an angle of 20 degrees so hence you can draw a vector triangle, and the unknown side will equal the i component. hope this helps, and doent breach this forums rules for helping with questions.

What are "I and j components"?

"I and j components" refer to the unit vectors used to represent the x and y axes in two-dimensional Cartesian coordinate systems. The "i" component represents the horizontal x-axis, while the "j" component represents the vertical y-axis.

How are "I and j components" used in physics and mathematics?

"I and j components" are used in physics and mathematics to represent vector quantities in two-dimensional space. They are commonly used in equations involving displacement, velocity, acceleration, and force.

What is the relationship between "I and j components" and magnitude and direction?

The "I and j components" of a vector, along with its magnitude and direction, are all related through trigonometric functions. The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, while the direction can be determined using inverse trigonometric functions.

Can "I and j components" be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, "I and j components" can be extended to three-dimensional space by adding a third unit vector, "k", to represent the z-axis. Together, these three unit vectors form a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system.

How can "I and j components" be visualized geometrically?

"I and j components" can be visualized geometrically as the horizontal and vertical distances from the origin to a point on a coordinate plane. The "i" component represents the distance along the x-axis, while the "j" component represents the distance along the y-axis.