Servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pump?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student from Oregon who is trying to create a 5x5-pin tactile display for a physics project. They currently have a Makezine controller that can control 2 stepper motors or 8 servos at a time. They want the display's surface to be bubble wrap and plan to use miniature valves and a master pump to fill and empty the bubbles. They are unsure if pneumatics would be the best solution and are looking for insight and suggestions. Some suggestions mentioned include using a small hydraulic system or a sealed system with a solenoid or motor-driven hypodermic syringe.
bzliu94
Hi. I'm a high schooler from Oregon, and I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now.

What I'm trying to do is make a 5x5-pin tactile display for a high school physics project. I currently have a Makezine controller that can sink 1A @ 12VDC per analog output, and control 2 stepper motors or 8 servos at a time, for sure.

How I want the thing to work, though, is have its surface be bubble wrap for this first prototype, and I will empty or fill each bubble by opening or closing miniature valves attached to each, and then use just one master pump underneath to constantly oscillate, moving up and down to fill or empty cells that have open valves. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm probably going to have to use party balloons for the pins. And, here's a diagram:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2707/crappyschematicnf6.png [Broken]

Even though I'm dealing with air, though, I kind of get the feeling pneumatics won't be the solution I'm looking for as my displacement would be a dozen milliliters at most. Or is it still appropriate? I have almost no experience with pneumatics. Could someone please lend some insight? What part am I looking for, and does a servo-controlled pneumatic pump exist? Because for the vast majority of the time, the pump will be off, and it will only take an upstroke and downstroke whenever the screen needs refreshing.

Thanks,
Brian

Edit: And also, another reason why I want it to be something like servo-controlled is that I'd want to have variable amounts of displacement every cycle, depending on how many bubble on/off states are switching in that frame. The max displacement would only be going from all 25 bubbles completely off to on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't really understand what you're trying to do, but instead of pneumatics, how about a small hydraulic system?

Your pockets could be inflated by either:

- One pump and a series of servo valves to direct the flow accordingly, or;
- A master cylinder powered by a linear actuator for each pocket.

The second way might sound complicated, but it would allow the pockets to concurrently fill independently of one another, and would satisfy your need for variable displacement. The control system would also be much more simple.

The problems I see with your idea are as follows:
- I suspect you might need more than just good luck to evacuate the bubbles and cause them to empty, particularly if you use bubble wrap; think about when you pierce a bubble, it retains its shape.
- Control of air flow, though this could be done with a simple blow-off valve

Just some things to consider

What about a sealed system for each pocket? You could run a solenoid or motor driven hypodermic syringe (3cc or so) with a tube bonded to the underside of the pocket. Retracting the plunger would then also positively evacuate the bubble.

Do you have a size limitation for your display? I think that may help with some other ideas without limiting it to your bubble wrap idea.

There are companys that produce valve/nozzle systems for manufacturing that are used in the application of very small amounts of a fluid. They are used in places like adhesive application top PCB's. Let me look around and see if I can find some links.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm extremely busy at the moment, but I will take the time to write out a reply ASAP. I think FredGarvin has the right idea..

1. What is a servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pump?

A servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pump is a type of pump that uses compressed air to power its movement. It is equipped with a servo control system that allows for precise control of the pump's movement and direction.

2. How does a servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pump work?

A servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pump works by using a combination of compressed air and a servo control system to control its movement. When compressed air is supplied to the pump, it moves in a specific direction according to the instructions from the servo control system.

3. What are the benefits of using a servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pump?

There are several benefits to using a servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pump. These include precise control of movement and direction, high efficiency, and low maintenance requirements. Additionally, since it uses compressed air, it is a safe and clean option for many applications.

4. What are the common applications of a servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pump?

Servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pumps are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, and packaging. They are also used in various machines and equipment, including robots, assembly lines, and material handling systems.

5. How do I choose the right servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pump for my application?

Choosing the right servo-controlled, two-way pneumatic pump for your application depends on factors such as required flow rate, pressure, and control precision. It is important to consult with a supplier or expert in pneumatic systems to determine the best pump for your specific needs.