Mathematical Analysis of Boiling Two Eggs vs. One Egg

In summary, the statement that it takes as long to boil one egg as it takes to boil two eggs is only valid when the conditions are as follows: the eggs are being boiled in a single pot, the temperature of the water is maintained at a constant level, and there is enough heat available to transfer to the eggs without affecting the temperature of the water. The mathematical analysis of the problem involves taking into account the specific heat capacities of the egg and water, as well as the temperature conductivity of the egg white and the rate of heat transfer. The presence of a lid on the pot can also affect the cooking time of the eggs. Overall, this is a genuine olympiad level question that requires logical reasoning and the formulation of equations to solve
_anant
source:british physics olympiad 1993
:rofl: it is said that it takes as long to boil one egg as it takes to boil two eggs. comment on the statement indicating the conditions under which it is valid?
can someone give me the mathematical analysis of the problem?:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
two separate pots?

This is a reasoning physics problem, not a mathematical one. It does not ask for a single equation. You just have to ask a housewife if you have never boiled an egg yourself.

To be boiled, an egg needs to stay in hot water during a time depending on the wanted result (soft-boiled, hard-boiled) and in the temperature of the water. Usually, housewives and other people, use boiling water which uses to boil near 100°C when you are not in very high mountains. Then the temperature is almost the same... but for the fact that when you put a cold egg in hot water the temperature lowers and it takes some time to return to the boiling point. This is why light_bulb said "two separate pots". The other solution is to have a big pot full of so much boiling water that one o two eggs do not stop ebullition.

lpfr said:
This is a reasoning physics problem, not a mathematical one. It does not ask for a single equation. You just have to ask a housewife if you have never boiled an egg yourself.

To be boiled, an egg needs to stay in hot water during a time depending on the wanted result (soft-boiled, hard-boiled) and in the temperature of the water. Usually, housewives and other people, use boiling water which uses to boil near 100°C when you are not in very high mountains. Then the temperature is almost the same... but for the fact that when you put a cold egg in hot water the temperature lowers and it takes some time to return to the boiling point. This is why light_bulb said "two separate pots". The other solution is to have a big pot full of so much boiling water that one o two eggs do not stop ebullition.

we should not talk about trivial matters like one or two pots or pressure dependencies.Let us take a single pot:biggrin: let us boil eggs there.Then some analysis in entropy of the egg has to be done as the proteins in the yolk become uncoiled.LET us take into account the specific heat capacities of the egg and water too and then let us formulate the cases.After making logical guesses we can provide the equations.This is the way i think this should be attempted as this is a genuine olympiad level question.{it is worth marks, of course!}:wink:

_anant said:
source:british physics olympiad 1993
:rofl: it is said that it takes as long to boil one egg as it takes to boil two eggs. comment on the statement indicating the conditions under which it is valid?
can someone give me the mathematical analysis of the problem?:biggrin:

I think there's something connecting with the temperature conductivity of the egg'white especially when it is cooked. In fact the heat to cook an egg is very small, it take quite a time because the heat transfers to the yolk very slowly. So if you put one egg or two eggs into the pot when the water is hot or even when it is cold and you raise the temperature fast it take the same time for the heat to get into the yolk and cook it.

Agree with all that's been said. To formalize what has been said, i would suggest that when the reservoir of heat available to the egg is very much larger than that of the egg itself, and/or the heat added to the water (the source is equal to or greater than the sink, so that the temperature gradient is maintained irrespective of the number of eggs present. Just to be on the safe side I would say a lid should be used to minimize the presence of any non-uniform heating among eggs depending on their proximity to the surface or sides.

In order for an egg to cook it has to attain a certain temperature. If we add another egg, it's as if we have an egg with twice the mass of one. This means that for this one big egg to cook, it has to absorb twice the heat that one egg needs (because mass and heat are directly related when it comes to raising temperature). Since the rate at which heat is transferred is almost constant at these relatively low temperatures, the more heat water has to transfer, the longer it takes. Consequently, it would take longer for 2 eggs to cook. The only possible way would be to change the temperature of the water adequately. This is how I see it, from a physics view point and from a food tv viewpoint :tongue2:

Last edited:
Werg22 said:
In order for an egg to cook it has to attain a certain temperature. If we add another egg, it's as if we have an egg with twice the mass of one. This means that for this one big egg to cook, it has to absorb twice the heat that one egg needs (because mass and heat are directly related when it comes to raising temperature). Since the rate at which heat is transferred is almost constant at these relatively low temperatures, the more heat water has to transfer, the longer it takes. Consequently, it would take longer for 2 eggs to cook. The only possible way would be to change the temperature of the water adequately. This is how I see it, from a physics view point and from a food tv viewpoint :tongue2:

:devil: did you take into account water's exceptionally large heat capacity?

_anant said:
:devil: did you take into account water's exceptionally large heat capacity?

Be it water, oil or milk it dosen't change the fact that substance, if it is under constant conditions, transfer energy at fixed rate. This means that if it has to transfer twice as much energy as before, it will take twice the time. Since energy is directly proportional to mass, this means that time is itself proportional to mass. So it will take something around twice the time (I say "around" because in reality we have to use an integral with several variables to get the answer).

Werg22 said:
Be it water, oil or milk it dosen't change the fact that substance, if it is under constant conditions, transfer energy at fixed rate. This means that if it has to transfer twice as much energy as before, it will take twice the time. Since energy is directly proportional to mass, this means that time is itself proportional to mass. So it will take something around twice the time (I say "around" because in reality we have to use an integral with several variables to get the answer).

Think carefully about this. I always like to think in terms of absurd extremes to help intuition along, as few of are blessed with a physically intuitive mind.

Along those lines, take the pacific ocean which 4 billion years from now is a superheated cauldron of boiling water due to the sun's expansion, will it take twice as long to boil two eggs as one? So your statement is right but assumes a very limited supply of energy. Either we can supply this energy externally to keep up with any draw by the egg, or have such a huge reservoir of energy that an egg is a drop in a bucket.
J

so it's still two pots :tongue2:

kdelta+tdelta*2/E=kdelta+tdelta*1/E

yes i pulled that out of my bleep

1. How does the number of eggs affect the boiling time?

The number of eggs has a direct impact on the boiling time. When two eggs are boiled together, it takes longer for the water to reach boiling temperature and for the eggs to cook compared to boiling a single egg.

2. Is the boiling time the same for both one and two eggs?

No, the boiling time is not the same for one and two eggs. When boiling two eggs, the water has to heat up a larger volume, resulting in a longer boiling time compared to boiling a single egg.

3. Does the size of the eggs affect the boiling time?

Yes, the size of the eggs can affect the boiling time. Larger eggs will take longer to cook compared to smaller eggs, as they require more time for the center to reach the desired level of doneness.

4. How does the altitude affect the boiling time of two eggs vs. one egg?

The altitude can have a significant impact on the boiling time of eggs. At higher altitudes, the air pressure is lower, which means water boils at a lower temperature. This results in longer boiling times for both one and two eggs.

5. Does the shape of the pot or pan affect the boiling time?

Yes, the shape of the pot or pan can affect the boiling time. A wider and shallower pot will allow for faster heating and boiling compared to a taller and narrower pot, which may take longer to reach boiling temperature and cook the eggs.