Is this inequality proof possible without induction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the inequality a^{n+1} \geq \displaystyle\prod_{i=0}^n\ x_i and attempts to prove it using induction. However, there is some uncertainty about whether or not a \geq x for all n. The conversation ends with a potential solution using the fact that f(x) = \frac{x - 1}{1 + x} is an increasing function, but this is later disproven.
teleport

Homework Statement

If we know that [tex](\frac{a - 1}{1 + a})^{n + 1} \geq \displaystyle\prod_{i=0}^n\frac{x_i - 1}{1+x_i}[/tex] is the inequality
[tex] a^{n+1} \geq \displaystyle\prod_{i=0}^n\ x_i [/tex] true? Prove your answer.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried induction:

The base n = 0 works.

Assume it works for n -1

Proving it works for n:

[tex] a^{n +1} = aa^n \geq a\displaystyle\prod_{i=0}^{n - 1} x_i

= \frac{a}{x_n}\displaystyle\prod_{i=0}^{n} x_i [/tex].

Now it would be great if I could assume that if it works for n = 0 then
[tex] a \geq x_0 [/tex] and therefore [tex] a \geq x [/tex] for all n since I can allways permute the highest of the x and set it as [tex] x_0[/tex]. If this is true, then I would get the result immediately. But I don't really know if I could do this. Any help is appreciated. I am very interested to see if the inequality could be proven without induction. Thanks for any comments.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wow my latex sucks. sorry for that. I am trying to fix some

Can it be proven here that [tex] a \geq x [/tex] for all n, or should I just say that the inequality is true iff [tex] a \geq x [/tex] for all n?

Oh I got it now. I didn't realize that

[tex](\frac{a - 1}{a + 1})^{n + 1}

= \displaystyle\prod_{i=0}^n\ (\frac{a - 1}{a + 1})

\geq \displaystyle\prod_{i=0}^n\ \frac{x - 1}{1 + x} [/tex].

But since

[tex] f(x) = \frac{x - 1}{1 + x}[/tex]

is an increasing function, then a must be greater than x for all n. Is this reasoning correct? I am suspicious of that. I need some confirmation. Thanks

Last edited:
Wait, no I don't think that's true. Man!

What is "Inequality proof homework"?

"Inequality proof homework" is a type of assignment given to students in which they are required to prove mathematical inequalities using various techniques and concepts.

Why is "Inequality proof homework" important?

"Inequality proof homework" is important because it helps students develop critical thinking skills and strengthen their understanding of mathematical concepts. It also prepares them for more advanced math courses and real-world applications.

What are some common techniques used in "Inequality proof homework"?

Some common techniques used in "Inequality proof homework" include using algebraic manipulation, graphing, and using properties of inequalities such as the transitive and symmetric properties.

How can one improve their skills in completing "Inequality proof homework"?

One can improve their skills in completing "Inequality proof homework" by practicing regularly, seeking help from teachers or peers, and familiarizing themselves with different types of inequalities and their properties.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when completing "Inequality proof homework"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when completing "Inequality proof homework" include not following the given instructions, making careless errors in calculations, and not providing sufficient justification for each step in the proof.