What Causes Lightning? Understanding the Science Behind the Flash and Sound

• Thread starter i.mehrzad
  • Start date
In summary, the sound of thunder during a lightning storm is caused by the rapid heating of air from the electrical discharge. This creates a pressure wave that travels at the speed of sound, resulting in a crack or rumble depending on the direction of the lightning bolt. The maximum friction between clouds during a lightning strike also contributes to the sound.
i.mehrzad
Well I was just looking out in the sky one thundering night and was just wondering whar is the cause of the flashy sound when lightning does occur. Is it the sound that is generated when the Dielectric breaks down?
If so why??
Or is it that when lightning strikes the friction between the two clouds are at their highest level so therefore the sound generated then is most. If this is so then what is the cause of maximum friction only when lightning strikes?
Well i may be speaking in very vague terms but just to add, I was looking out in the sky one thundering night when my vacations were on.

Science news on Phys.org
Thunder arises from the propagation of a pressure wave which is cause by the rapid heating of air by the lightning. The electrical discharge causes the air to heat to about 30000K, within fractions of one second (1 s), and the air then rapidly expands at the speed of sound.
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/DavidFriedman.shtml

What is also interesting is that you can recreate (roughly) the direction and shape of the lightning bolt merely from the sound.

A crack is heard when a bolt passes transverse to the observer; a rumble is heard when the bolt is traveling toward or away from the observer.

So, 'crack rumble crack' is a bolt that passed transverse to the observer, then turned toward or away from the observer, then back to transverse.

What causes lightening?

Lightning is a natural electrical discharge that occurs during a thunderstorm. It is caused by the buildup and release of electrical energy within a thundercloud.

How does lightning form?

Lightning forms when two oppositely charged areas within a thundercloud, or between a thundercloud and the ground, create a strong electric field. This electric field causes a separation of positive and negative charges, resulting in a flow of electricity known as lightning.

What are the different types of lightning?

The most common types of lightning are cloud-to-ground lightning, where a bolt of electricity travels between the thundercloud and the ground, and intra-cloud lightning, where the lightning stays within the cloud. Other types include cloud-to-cloud lightning and cloud-to-air lightning.

Why does lightning strike the ground?

Lightning strikes the ground because the negatively charged bottom of a thundercloud is attracted to the positively charged ground. When the electric field is strong enough, a bolt of lightning will travel from the cloud to the ground, equalizing the charges and creating a visible flash of light.

Can lightning be predicted?

While scientists have developed tools and methods to predict the likelihood of lightning during a thunderstorm, it is still not possible to predict exactly when or where lightning will strike. Lightning is a highly unpredictable natural phenomenon, and precautions should always be taken during a thunderstorm to stay safe.