Earth's Magnetic Field: Electrons in Space

In summary, the Van Allen belts are regions high above the Earth's surface where charged particles are trapped in the Earth's magnetic field. The typical electron in a Van Allen belt has an energy of 45 keV and orbits in a roughly circular pattern with an average radius of 200 m. To find the magnitude of the Earth's magnetic field in this region, we can use the equation r = mv/(qB) with the mass of an electron being 511 keV/c^2. After converting all units to MKS, we can solve for the velocity and plug it into the equation. The resulting magnetic field is in the range of a few microtesla, which is consistent with the Earth's magnetic field at the surface.
MJC8719
High above the surface of the Earth, charged particles (such as electrons and protons) can become trapped in the Earth's magnetic field in regions known as Van Allen belts. A typical electron in a Van Allen belt has an energy of 45 keV and travels in a roughly circular orbit with an average radius of 200 m. What is the magnitude of the Earth's magnetic field where such an electron orbits

So, the only equation I can think of that might be useful is r = mv/(qB) where solving for B would give me the magnetic field of the earth...I cannot figure out though, what the velocity of the particle is...

I thought it might be 45keV = 1/2mv^2 with m as the mass of an electron, but solving for v and plugging it into the above equation, did not yield a correct answer...

This problem is listed as an 'easy' one in our book, so I think its just something simple that cannot be clicking...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
did you do the computation right? how much energy is 45keV in joules?

1 keV = 1.783 x 10-33J of energy...i am pretty sure i did that part right

Our professor also gave us the fact that the mass of e = 511kev/C2

So that would mean
(1/2)mv^2 = 45
v^2 = (45/0.5x511)
v = 0.41967

Then B = (511KeV)(0.41967)/(1.60X10-19)(200)
Which means B = 6.7016e18 T

Which is way to high...plus our answer is supposed to be in uT.

Am I missing a unit conversion somewhere

1eV= 1.6e-19J
1.6e-19 (times) 45000= 7.2e-15J

edit

what is (1/2)mv^2=45?

edit 2

b field of Earth is about 10^-4T so like 100uT

Last edited:
I am trying to solve for the velocity correct...so I can use it in my equation for objects rotating around a circle...

So (1/2)mv^2 = KE = 45keV

I would then convert this all to joules...then I would have the velocity which could then be plugged into the equation: r = mv/(qB) so I could then solve for B...

Maybe I am approaching this wrong then??

show all the work step by step because I am getting an answer in uT and a much different velocity from you.

You are being really sloppy with units. For simplicity convert everything to MKS, eg 511kev/c^2=9.1x10^(-31) kg.

Thanks guys...i was being sloppy with the units...long day of work, class, then volunteering, plus an exam to study for tonight...much appreciated

what was the answer?

ice109 said:
what was the answer?

I got a few microtesla. Probably about the same as you.

Dick said:
I got a few microtesla. Probably about the same as you.

ya but that's not the b field of the earth

The Earth's magnetic field (at the surface) is tens of microtesla. So we're in the right ballpark and the van Allen belt is not at the surface.

Dick said:
The Earth's magnetic field (at the surface) is tens of microtesla. So we're in the right ballpark and the van Allen belt is not at the surface.

oh yea wasn't thinking that it is above the surface

ice109 said:
oh yea wasn't thinking that it is above the surface

Good thing for us, yea? 45KeV electrons aren't healthy. :rolleyes:

Dick said:
Good thing for us, yea? 45KeV electrons aren't healthy. :rolleyes:

is the van allen belt where the aurora happens?

Where aurora happen is where the van Allen belts dump excess electrons when they are disturbed. The electrons follow the field lines down to the poles. The aurora areas are nowhere near the belts proper.

1. What is Earth's magnetic field and how does it work?

Earth's magnetic field is a phenomenon that surrounds our planet and is created by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's core. This movement generates electric currents, which in turn produce a magnetic field that extends into space. This magnetic field acts like a shield, protecting Earth from harmful charged particles from the sun.

2. How do electrons in space interact with Earth's magnetic field?

Electrons in space are charged particles that interact with Earth's magnetic field in a process called magnetic reconnection. When the Earth's magnetic field lines are disturbed by the solar wind, the charged particles are accelerated and can collide with the Earth's atmosphere, creating auroras.

3. Can Earth's magnetic field change over time?

Yes, Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing, both in strength and direction. This is because the molten iron in the Earth's core is constantly moving, causing the magnetic field to fluctuate. In fact, the magnetic poles have reversed multiple times in Earth's history.

4. How does Earth's magnetic field affect life on our planet?

Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in protecting life on our planet. It shields the Earth from harmful solar and cosmic radiation, which can be harmful to living organisms. Additionally, many animals, such as birds and sea turtles, use the Earth's magnetic field for navigation during their long migrations.

5. Can the Earth's magnetic field be used for navigation?

Yes, the Earth's magnetic field has been used for navigation for centuries. Compasses use the Earth's magnetic field to determine direction, and many animals also use it for navigation. However, it is important to note that the magnetic field is not constant and can vary in different locations, so other methods like GPS are more accurate for navigation.