Solve Thermal Expansion: Floating Glass Block in Methyl Alcohol

In summary: As the temperature increases, the volume of the sphere will also increase, which will decrease its density. At some point, the density of the sphere will equal the density of the methyl alcohol, causing it to sink. In summary, the temperature at which the hollow glass block will sink to the bottom of the container of methyl alcohol can be found by using the equation V = Vinitial (1+ Beta x change in Temp), where Beta is the coefficient of thermal expansion for methyl alcohol (1200 x 10^-6). The buoyant force, which is equal to the density of the alcohol times the volume of the block times the acceleration due to gravity, must support the weight of the block. As the temperature increases, the volume of the block
chantalprince

Homework Statement

A hollow glass block is floating in a container of methyl alcohol. Initially, everything is at a temperature of 20 degrees C, and just 7% of the block is above the suface of the alcohol. If you heat the container (gently and evenly- so that everything warms up together), at what temperature will the block sink to the bottom?

Homework Equations

So far, I think I need these:

V = V initial (1+Beta x change in Temp)

Beta = Coefficient of Thermal expansion (volume)

Buoyant force = rho x V x g (but I am not given the density of methyl alcohol in my book)

Coef for Therm Exp. for Methyl alcohol = 1200 x 10^-6

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure I will use the first equation, I just don't know how yet... I don't know any volumes,and I don't have any dimensions to get there, so I don't know how to begin. The 93% submerged tidbit has got to be useful, but I don't see how to use it :( Something to do with buoyant force...?

Thank you ahead of time for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The buoyant force depends on the density of a substance which is inversely proportional to its volume. You know the buoyant force must support the weight of the sphere as well.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and equations involved. The key variables in this problem are the initial volume of the glass block, the coefficient of thermal expansion of methyl alcohol, and the change in temperature. The equations that can be used are the volume change equation (V=Vinitial(1+Beta x change in Temp)) and the buoyant force equation (Buoyant force = rho x V x g).

To solve the problem, we need to first find the initial volume of the glass block. This can be done by using the fact that only 7% of the block is above the surface of the alcohol. This means that 93% of the block is submerged, so we can calculate the initial volume by dividing the submerged volume by 0.93.

Next, we can use the volume change equation to calculate the final volume of the block at the new temperature. We can then use this final volume to calculate the buoyant force at the new temperature. The buoyant force will increase as the volume of the block increases, and at some point, it will become greater than the weight of the block, causing it to sink. We can use this information to find the temperature at which the block will sink to the bottom.

Additionally, we can use the coefficient of thermal expansion for methyl alcohol to calculate the change in volume for a given change in temperature. This can help us to determine how much the volume of the block will increase as the temperature increases.

In summary, to solve this problem, we need to use the volume change equation, the buoyant force equation, and the coefficient of thermal expansion for methyl alcohol. By using these equations and identifying the key variables, we can determine the temperature at which the glass block will sink to the bottom of the container.

1. How does thermal expansion affect a floating glass block in methyl alcohol?

Thermal expansion is the increase in volume of a substance due to an increase in temperature. In the case of a floating glass block in methyl alcohol, as the temperature increases, the liquid expands and exerts pressure on the glass block, causing it to rise higher in the liquid.

2. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion for methyl alcohol?

The coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts with changes in temperature. The CTE for methyl alcohol is 0.0011 mm/mm/°C, meaning that for every 1°C increase in temperature, the liquid will expand by 0.0011 mm for every 1 mm of its original length.

3. How does the shape of the glass block affect thermal expansion in methyl alcohol?

The shape of the glass block can affect the rate of thermal expansion in methyl alcohol. For example, a block with a larger surface area will experience more expansion compared to a block with a smaller surface area. This is because a larger surface area allows for more contact with the liquid, resulting in a greater exchange of heat and a higher rate of expansion.

4. What happens to the glass block if the temperature of the methyl alcohol decreases?

If the temperature of the methyl alcohol decreases, the liquid will contract and exert less pressure on the glass block. This will cause the block to sink lower in the liquid. The rate of contraction will depend on the CTE of the liquid and the temperature change.

5. How does the density of methyl alcohol affect thermal expansion in a floating glass block?

The density of a substance is a measure of how tightly packed its molecules are. In general, substances with lower densities tend to expand more when heated compared to substances with higher densities. Therefore, the density of methyl alcohol can affect the rate of thermal expansion in a floating glass block, with lower density liquids causing more expansion compared to higher density liquids.