Finding the Envelope of a Family of Curves with a Parameter

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the envelope of the family of curves x^2cosΘ + y^2sinΘ = a^2 where Θ is the parameter. The attempted solution involved differentiating and solving for theta, but the conversation eventually led to using the identity cos^2theta +sin^2theta = 1 to solve the problem.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Find envelope of the family of curves x^2cosΘ + y^2sinΘ = a^2 where Θ is the parameter

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried differentiating and putting it = to 0 but this is coming up very messy, is there something I'm not seeing here?thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for getting back to me but I'm not sure i follow. Do i solve 1 for x say then sub it back in and solve 2?

That would be one way. Or you can try solving either equation for theta then substitute it into the other equation.

Last edited:
I differentiated eq1 with respect to theta and got

-x^2sin theta + y^2cos theta

which is eq 2 but i just can't figure out how to isolate The theta in such a way that i can sub it back into eq 1?

gtfitzpatrick said:
I differentiated eq1 with respect to theta and got

-x^2sin theta + y^2cos theta

which is eq 2 but i just can't figure out how to isolate The theta in such a way that i can sub it back into eq 1?

Try doing a system of equations:

[tex]
\begin{align}
x^2 \cos\theta + y^2 \sin\theta &= a^2\\
y^2 \cos\theta - x^2 \sin\theta &= 0
\end{align}
[/tex]

You can solve it using linear combinations with your "variables" being [tex]\cos\theta[/tex] and [tex]\sin\theta[/tex].

Thanks, for getting back to me but I'm not sure i know what you mean by linear combinations?

Did you ever learn how to solve systems of linear combinations? For example, let's say we have the system

[tex]
\begin{align}
x + 2y &= 6\\
3x + 7y &= 0
\end{align}
[/tex]

We can solve this by multiplying (1) by -3 then adding the two equations together resulting in:

[tex]
-6y + 7y = 6 + 0
[/tex]

which you can then solve for y. Once you have y, you can plug it into one of the original equations and solve for x.

For your problem, you can use an analogous method by solving, instead of for x and y as above, for [tex]\sin\theta[/tex] and [tex]\cos\theta.[/tex]

i've solved the 2 eqs simultaneously by multiplying eq 1 by x^2 and eq 1 by y^2
which gives me

cos theta=a^2x^2/x^4=y^4

and throwing that back in for

sin theta = a^2y^2/y^4+x^4

Im not sure is this the answer? or where do i go from there?
thanks

since theta is the parameter i think i should be trying to eliminate it from the equations

tan theta = y^2/x^2

theta = tan ^-1 y^2/x^2

which i sub back into give

x^2cos (tan^-1 y^2/x^2) + y^2sin (tan^-1 y^2/x^2) = a^2

i'm going mad trying to work this out!

What identity can you use to tie sin theta and cos theta together?

Suppose I thought there is the identity "sqrt[sin theta] * sqrt[cos theta] = 2 for any theta."

Then I can write sqrt[a^2x^2/(x^4+y^4)] * sqrt[a^2y^2/(x^4+y^4)] - 2 = 0, which would be the envelope.

thanks for being so patiant with me but i don't understand where
"sqrt[sin theta] * sqrt[cos theta] = 2 comes from

There is no such identity. Enuma Elish said "suppose I thought that" because he was trying to not to do the problem for you! Do you know of any real identity you could use instead?

cos^2theta +sin^theta = 1?

thanks for that got it now, i hope

1. What is the envelope of a family of curves?

The envelope of a family of curves is a curve or set of curves that touches each curve in the family at exactly one point. It represents the boundary or outermost limit of the family of curves.

2. How is the envelope of a family of curves calculated?

The envelope of a family of curves can be calculated by finding the equations of all the curves in the family and then determining the point(s) where they intersect. These points will be the points of tangency for the envelope curve.

3. What is the significance of the envelope of a family of curves?

The envelope of a family of curves can provide important information about the behavior of the family of curves. It can help identify patterns and relationships between the curves and can also be used to approximate the behavior of the family of curves as a whole.

4. Can the envelope of a family of curves be a straight line?

Yes, the envelope of a family of curves can be a straight line if all the curves in the family have the same slope at every point. In this case, the envelope would represent the average or overall behavior of the family of curves.

5. Can the concept of envelope of a family of curves be applied to any type of curve?

Yes, the concept of envelope of a family of curves can be applied to any type of curve, as long as there is a set of curves that share a common behavior or relationship. This includes linear, quadratic, and trigonometric curves, among others.