Question about a Signal's Frequency Spectra and Modulation

In summary, the concept of addition is really only a mathematical concept. The physical reality of accumulating things does not always conform to the mathematical model of addition.
Noesis
I used to think that the frequencies obtained by a Fourier Series or Transform from a signal in the 'time domain' were simply a consequence of our mathematical system. In other words, it is a consequence of the fact that sinusoids are used to recreate or synthesize the signal.

It's just an approximation technique using an orthogonal set; and could've been done through another orthogonal set.

Since I viewed it as a consequence of our mathematical system, I did not see time signals having actual frequencies in nature.

This seemed evident to me as well in terms of a simple square signal. Due to the inverse relationship between bandwidth and time duration, a 'larger rectangle' had smaller frequency than a 'smaller rectangle.' But clearly both rectangles have NO frequency...they're just boxes!

Now that I am studying modulation, specifically amplitude modulation, I see that signals are analyzed via their Fourier Transforms and that actual filters (say a low-pass filter) are used to extract the signals again in demodulation.

This contradicts my original thoughts and so something is wrong. Frequency is being used here in practice, so there must be some link between a frequency spectra and the signal in reality.

If someone could please clarify this I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Also..as another clarification to the above:

The definition of frequency is very clear to me: x repeating per y . I don't see anything repeating in my rectangular box voltage (gate signal) up above and just don't see how frequency has anything to do with it--except as mathematical convenience.

Thanks.

Noesis said:
The definition of frequency is very clear to me: x repeating per y . I don't see anything repeating in my rectangular box voltage (gate signal) up above and just don't see how frequency has anything to do with it--except as mathematical convenience.

the concept of addition is really only a mathematical concept. perhaps in another universe this purely mathematical concept of addition would have nothing to do with the reality of what happens when quantities of the same kinda stuff accumulates. but in this universe, when you have X thingies in one bucket and Y thingies in another bucket, and you pour the Y thingies into the bucket with X thingies, we expect the quantity of thingies in that bucket to be X+Y. but why should physical reality (of collecting or accumulating thingies) submit itself to this mathematical model of addition? but it does. (sometimes it doesn't exactly, such as in relativistic velocity addition.)

so, even if in a square wave, you, in your anthropocentric observation, do not see evidence of a first harmonic added to a third harmonic added to a fifth harmonic, etc., but that is how a resonant circuit might look at that square wave; as a sum of sinusoids with these particularly related frequencies.

1. What is a frequency spectrum?

A frequency spectrum is a representation of the different frequencies present in a signal. It shows the amount of energy at each frequency and can be used to analyze and understand the characteristics of a signal.

2. How is a frequency spectrum calculated?

A frequency spectrum is typically calculated using a mathematical process called a Fourier transform. This process takes a signal in the time domain and converts it into its frequency components.

3. What is modulation and how does it affect a signal's frequency spectrum?

Modulation is the process of changing one or more characteristics of a signal in order to transmit information. This can include changing the amplitude, frequency, or phase of a signal. Modulation affects a signal's frequency spectrum by shifting the energy from one frequency to another, resulting in a different frequency spectrum.

4. What are the different types of modulation?

There are several types of modulation, including amplitude modulation (AM), frequency modulation (FM), and phase modulation (PM). Other types include pulse modulation, where the signal is turned on and off at specific intervals, and digital modulation, which uses a combination of on/off states to represent data.

5. How is a signal's frequency spectrum used in practical applications?

A signal's frequency spectrum can be used in a variety of practical applications. For example, in telecommunications, it is used to transmit and receive information through different modulation techniques. In audio engineering, it is used to analyze and manipulate sound. In medical imaging, it is used to create images of internal structures in the body. Frequency spectra are also used in fields such as astronomy, physics, and music.