Depth of a cone rate problem (question about the equation I'm using)

In summary, the problem involves a conical tank with a diameter of 10 feet and a depth of 12 feet, with water flowing in at a rate of 10 cubic feet per minute. To find the rate of change of the depth of the water when it is 8 feet deep, we need to use the equation V=(Ah/3) and find a relation between the radius of the cone and the depth of the water.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

A conical tank (with vertex down) is 10 feet across the top and 12 feet deep. If water is flowing into the tank at a rate of 10 cubic feet per minute, find the rate of change of the depth of the water when the water is 8 feet deep.

Homework Equations

Cone: V= (Ah/3)

Right Circular Cone: V=[(pi)(r^2)(h)]/(3)

The Attempt at a Solution

So on this on I'm confused about the equation I need to derive to begin with..

I looked up the volume of a cone and it had two choices (stated above)

So I think I need to use just the cone one because the problem doesn't say its a right circular cone. Is that correct?

Assuming I do in fact need to use V= (Ah/3)

Do I then plug in A=(pi)(r^2) which is the area of a circle? the book says A equalls the area of the base, which appears to be a circle to me...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok the volume of the cone is

[tex]V=\frac{1}{3}r^{2}\pi H[/tex]

The info that you know are:

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=10[/tex], [tex] r=5[/tex]

We need to find [tex]\frac{dH}{dt}=?[/tex] when H=8(be carefule here, you are not to plug this value for H in, immediately on the equation for the volume, since H (depth) is changing). Now try to find a relation between the radius of the circle on the cone when H=8, using these information.
Draw a picture it usually helps.

Likes mattyk

1. What is the equation for finding the depth of a cone?

The equation for finding the depth of a cone is h = r(tanθ), where h is the height of the cone, r is the radius of the base, and θ is the angle of the cone's slope.

2. How do I determine the rate of change of the depth of a cone?

The rate of change of the depth of a cone can be determined by taking the derivative of the depth equation with respect to time. This will give you the instantaneous rate of change at a specific moment in time.

3. Can I use this equation for any cone, regardless of its size?

Yes, the depth equation for a cone can be used for any cone, as long as you have the correct values for the height, radius, and angle.

4. Is the depth of a cone affected by the material it is made of?

No, the depth of a cone is not affected by the material it is made of. The depth is solely determined by the cone's height, radius, and angle.

5. How can I use this equation in real-life applications?

The depth equation for a cone can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the depth of a volcano or the depth of a water tank. It can also be used in engineering and construction projects that involve cones, such as building a funnel or a traffic cone.