Ferromagnetic effect at smaller/larger grain size

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of how the ferromagnetic effect changes depending on particle/grain size, specifically at nm (10, 50, 100, 1000...) and at \mum (0.5, 1, 2...). The speaker believes that with smaller particle size, the ferromagnetic effect cannot be observed, while with medium size, it can be observed but not as much as with larger sizes. However, they do not have an explanation for these results and are seeking answers from others. The conversation also briefly touches on the relationship between grain boundaries and ferromagnetic domain walls, but the speaker does not have much knowledge on the topic and is seeking to learn more about it.
slayercantona
Hi everybody,

I have faced with a problem in my report. The question said that "How can ferromagnetic effect change to depend on particle/grain size(at nm (10, 50, 100, 1000...) and at [tex]\mu[/tex]m (0.5, 1, 2...)?" (In shortly, what can we observe at feromagnetic effect if we increase and decrease of particle/grain size?). In my opinion, if I have so small particle, I can not observe any ferromagnetic effect or have medium size we can observe, but it will be larger than old, I cannot observe ferromagnetic effect again. But, I cannot explain the reason of these results. (Maybe my answers can be wrong:smile:). Has anybody know the answers of my questions?

I look forward to your answers. Thanks for everything.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the relationship between grain boundaries and ferromagnetic domain walls?

Gokul43201 said:
What do you know about the relationship between grain boundaries and ferromagnetic domain walls?

I don't know much more thing about them. But, I try to learn and solve their relationship. I read D6, 1/D, constant law some journals, but they don't give much more information. They are talked about just their size relationship, shortly. But, I wonder what is the reason of this changing?

1. What is the ferromagnetic effect at smaller grain size?

The ferromagnetic effect is the phenomenon in which certain materials, such as iron, cobalt, and nickel, become strongly magnetized when exposed to an external magnetic field. At smaller grain size, this effect refers to the behavior of ferromagnetic materials when their grain size is reduced to a nanoscale level.

2. How does the ferromagnetic effect change at larger grain size?

As the grain size of a ferromagnetic material increases, the ferromagnetic effect becomes less pronounced. This is because the larger grain size allows for the formation of magnetic domains, which can cancel out each other's magnetic fields, resulting in a weaker overall magnetization.

3. What causes the ferromagnetic effect to change at smaller/larger grain size?

The ferromagnetic effect at different grain sizes is influenced by several factors, including the material composition, crystal structure, and surface defects. However, the most significant factor is the size of the grains themselves, as it affects the formation and stability of magnetic domains within the material.

4. Can the ferromagnetic effect be manipulated by adjusting the grain size?

Yes, the ferromagnetic effect can be controlled by altering the grain size of a material. This is a crucial aspect in the development of advanced magnetic materials for various applications, such as data storage, sensors, and medical devices.

5. Are there any drawbacks to reducing the grain size in ferromagnetic materials?

While reducing the grain size can enhance the ferromagnetic effect, it can also lead to reduced mechanical strength and increased susceptibility to oxidation. Additionally, the production of materials with smaller grain sizes can be challenging and costly, limiting their widespread use in certain industries.