Average force/impulse/collision problem

• Thread starter NoPhysicsGenius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary, the ice skaters will not break any bones if they have an impact with each other at a speed of 5 m/s.
NoPhysicsGenius
[SOLVED] Average force/impulse/collision problem

Homework Statement

A 75-kg ice skater moving at 10 m/s crashes into a stationary skater of equal mass. After the collision, the two skaters move as a unit at 5 m/s. The average force that a skater can experience without breaking a bone is 4500 N. If the impact time is 0.1 s, does a bone break?

Homework Equations

[tex]\overrightarrow{I} = \Delta \overrightarrow{p} = \overline{F} \Delta t[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \overline{F} = \frac{\Delta \overrightarrow{p}}{\Delta t}[/tex]

Also ...

[tex]\Delta p = p_f - p_i = m_1v_{1f} + m_2v_{2f} - m_1v_{1i} - m_2v_{2i}[/tex]

However, for a perfectly inelastic collision, [itex]v_f = v_{1f} = v_{2f}[/itex]. Therefore ...

[tex]\Delta p = (m_1 + m_2)v_f - m_1v_{1i} - m_2v_{2i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer given in the back of the book says that the average force is 3750 N so that no, bones do not break.

[itex]m_1[/itex] = moving skater; [itex]m_2[/itex] = stationary skater

[tex]\overline{F} = \frac{(75 kg + 75 kg)(5 m/s) - (75kg)(10m/s) - (75kg)(0 m/s)}{0.1s} = 0 N[/tex]

What have I done wrong? Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
NoPhysicsGenius said:
[itex]m_1[/itex] = moving skater; [itex]m_2[/itex] = stationary skater

[tex]\overline{F} = \frac{(75 kg + 75 kg)(5 m/s) - (75kg)(10m/s) - (75kg)(0 m/s)}{0.1s} = 0 N[/tex]

What have I done wrong? Thank you for your help.
Here you have calculated the change in momentum of the entire system (i.e. the change in momentum of both skaters), which is zero as it should be since momentum is conserved!

Instead, what you need to calculate is the change in momentum of one of the skaters.

Hootenanny said:
Here you have calculated the change in momentum of the entire system (i.e. the change in momentum of both skaters), which is zero as it should be since momentum is conserved!

Instead, what you need to calculate is the change in momentum of one of the skaters.

Wow ... That was really foolish of me! Thank you!

What is average force?

Average force is the measure of the amount of force applied over a given period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total force applied by the duration of the force.

What is impulse?

Impulse is the product of force and time, and it is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It can be calculated by multiplying the average force by the duration of the force.

What is a collision?

A collision is an event in which two or more objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy. In physics, collisions can be classified as either elastic, in which no energy is lost, or inelastic, in which some energy is lost in the form of heat or deformation.

How do you solve average force/impulse/collision problems?

To solve these types of problems, you will need to use the equations for average force and impulse, as well as the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. You will also need to gather information about the objects involved, such as their masses, velocities, and the duration of the force or collision.

What are some real-world applications of average force/impulse/collision problems?

These types of problems have various applications in fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation. For example, engineers may use these principles to design safer cars and buildings, while athletes and coaches may use them to improve performance in sports. In transportation, understanding average force and impulse helps in designing efficient and safe braking systems for vehicles.