Energy & Fields: Uncovering the Mysteries of Modern Physics

In summary: It's not right that for matter to produce fields it requires to radiate out energy. Fields are created by the particles in matter interacting with each other.
zonde
Gold Member
Hi!

After considering some aspects of modern physics I found out that there are some pieces that does not fit in my mind very well.
So I'd like to ask some questions here.
Is it right that for matter to produce fields it requires to radiate out energy?
And if yes then from where comes this energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you referring to Field quanta's?

Not necessarily
But maybe for simplification of discussion it will be better to refer to quantas.

Maybe another question.
Gravitation is propagating at speed of light.
Nothing moving at light speed that is inside the event horizon of black hole can get outside it.
Question is how black holes can produce gravitation around them?

It depends on your description of gravity, if gravity is mediated by massless gauge bosons, or not.

Black holes can not be described, as of yet, by quantum physics. That is why the hottest field of reserach today is to fuse gravuty and quantum physics, one of these trials is String theory.

Dont ask new, unrelated, questions in the same thread. It is better to make new one or search for old ones in order to keep the forum clean.

Is it right that for matter to produce fields it requires to radiate out energy?

No it is not. Only when you move the body, the surrounding field starts to wiggle and the energy that was used to move the body is carried away in the waves that move through the field.

Icosahedron said:
Only when you move the body, the surrounding field starts to wiggle and the energy that was used to move the body is carried away in the waves that move through the field.
Energy is required to accelerate body but not to move it. Can you please clarify your idea?

Clarification: nonuniform, accelerated motion of the body.

It sounds like you are saying that fields exist on their own but are not produced by matter. Does not sound very sensible to me.

Why is that not sensible to you?

Because fields describe interactions between matter that maintains it's intensity and orientation relative to the interacting parts. So fields look like continuous stream of something and not like something that is altered time by time.
I hope that this description makes sense.

zonde said:
Hi!

After considering some aspects of modern physics I found out that there are some pieces that does not fit in my mind very well.
So I'd like to ask some questions here.
And if yes then from where comes this energy?
Yes. E.g. suppose you have a system of charges which is initially at rest. In general there will exist a static eletric field in the region in and around the system. If you try to wiggle some of the charges then it will require yo to do some work on the system. The energy that you expel in wiggling the charges will go into the kinetic energy of the charges, the change in the energy of the field, the creation of magnetic fields and it will also generate and electromagnetic waves which will carry some of the energy away.

Pete

1. What is energy and why is it important in physics?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. In physics, it is a fundamental concept that is crucial in understanding the behavior of matter and the natural world. It helps us explain how objects move, interact, and transform.

2. What are the different forms of energy?

There are many different forms of energy, including kinetic, potential, thermal, chemical, nuclear, and electromagnetic. Each form of energy has its own unique characteristics and is associated with different types of phenomena.

3. How do energy and fields relate to each other?

In physics, fields are areas of influence that can exert forces on objects within them. Energy is often associated with fields, as objects can gain or lose energy when they interact with a field. For example, a charged particle can gain energy by interacting with an electric field.

4. What role do energy and fields play in modern physics?

Modern physics relies heavily on the concepts of energy and fields to explain many complex phenomena, such as the behavior of subatomic particles, the structure of the universe, and the nature of light and electromagnetism. These concepts have also led to important technological advancements, such as electricity and nuclear power.

5. What are some current mysteries surrounding energy and fields?

Despite our understanding of energy and fields, there are still many mysteries in physics that remain unsolved. For example, the nature of dark energy and dark matter, which make up a majority of the energy in the universe, is still not fully understood. Additionally, the unification of the four fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear, and strong nuclear) is a major challenge in modern physics.