Understanding Time-Dependent Probability in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a particle being found in a particular eigenstate in quantum mechanics and how it changes over time. It is explained that the probability remains constant unless there is a change in the system, such as a new interaction added to the Hamiltonian. Otherwise, the probabilities and wavefunction remain constant in time.
Irid
Hi,
I'm a beginner at quantum mechanics and I wonder about this problem. Suppose I have found energy eigenstates of some potential, say, harmonic oscillator. Any state then can be expanded in terms of these eigenstates, and each term should be multiplied by the time factor exp(-iEt/h). What is the probability that the particle will be found in some particular eigenstate and how does it change in time? Using orthonormality of the energy eigenstates I find that the probability is just square of the amplitude and it doesn't change in time. But then, ANY state can be expanded in energy eigenstates, so this implies that the probability to be in ANY state is constant in time. Then, how can you change anything in quantum mechanics? Add/remove energy from the system, prepare the initial mix of states, change the mix?

Physics news on Phys.org
A new interaction added to the Hamiltonian can change the mix of states.
Otherwise, it is no different than normal modes in classical physics. The amplitude of each normal mode is also constant in time.

It's not strange; if the hamiltonian stays the same (e.g. the kinetic energy and the potential do not change) then it doesn't matter whether I measure now or in 20 minutes: chances of getting some particular result do not change. Only if I change something about the system (which reflects on the Hamiltonian, of course) the probabilities will change. Note however, that the wavefunction itself does change, it depends on time like
[tex]\Psi(x, t) = \sum_n c_n(t) \Psi_n(x)[/tex] with [tex]c_n(t) = e^{-i E_n t / \hbar} c_n(0)[/tex].

Assuming the Hamiltonian is time independent then energy, and any observable that is compatible(commutes) with energy does not change over time in the absence of external influence.

1. What does it mean to "change the state of a system"?

Changing the state of a system refers to altering the physical or chemical properties of a system, such as its temperature, pressure, or composition, in order to achieve a desired outcome or result.

2. Why is it important to be able to change the state of a system?

Being able to change the state of a system is crucial in many scientific fields, as it allows researchers to control and manipulate variables in order to better understand and improve processes, reactions, and systems.

3. What are some common methods for changing the state of a system?

Some common methods for changing the state of a system include applying heat or pressure, introducing a catalyst, altering the concentration of reactants, or changing the physical environment of the system.

4. Can changing the state of a system have both positive and negative consequences?

Yes, changing the state of a system can have both positive and negative consequences. While it can lead to desired outcomes and advancements in science and technology, it can also have unintended consequences and negative impacts on the environment or other systems.

5. How do scientists determine the best way to change the state of a system?

Scientists use a combination of knowledge, experimentation, and data analysis to determine the most effective and efficient ways to change the state of a system. This involves understanding the properties and behaviors of the system, as well as testing different methods and analyzing the results to determine the optimal approach.