Exploring Quantum Chaos: Questions & Experiments

• Thread starter xylai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chaos
In summary: The poincare section is chaos for a chaotic system. However, in order to know if the system is chaos in the experiment, one would need to measure some characteristic of the system, such as its entropy or its dynamics.
xylai
I will talk about the quantum chaos.
Quantum chaos comes from the classical chaos. unfortunately, the concept of trajectory is forbidden in quantum theory. So it is very difficult to define the quantum chaos.
Now many works use lots of methods to define it, for example, Random-Matrix theory, Level repulsion, and so on.
Now I have a question.
1. For a classical chaotic system, what phenomenon can we detect in the experiment, and then we can say it is chaos?
2. There are lots of definitions of quantum chaos. I don't know which one is most popular? Similarly, what phenomenon can we detect in the experiment, and then we can say it is chaos?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
xylai said:
I will talk about the quantum chaos.
Quantum chaos comes from the classical chaos. unfortunately, the concept of trajectory is forbidden in quantum theory. So it is very difficult to define the quantum chaos.
Now many works use lots of methods to define it, for example, Random-Matrix theory, Level repulsion, and so on.
Now I have a question.
1. For a classical chaotic system, what phenomenon can we detect in the experiment, and then we can say it is chaos?
If I remember well, one can usually say that a system is a chaotic one if there exist a non zero positive Lyapunov exponent. This leads to the existence of a characteristic time beyond which the predictability is lost and where the dynamics becomes similar to a stochastic one.
2. There are lots of definitions of quantum chaos. I don't know which one is most popular? Similarly, what phenomenon can we detect in the experiment, and then we can say it is chaos?
I would say that the definition using Random-Matrix theory conjectures about the probability distribution of the gap between two consecutive energy levels is the most popular one. Experimentaly one "just" have to measure these levels and make statistics.

Thank you for your answer.
Then I have another question. For a chaotic system the poincare section is chaos. Then how can we know the system is chaos in the experiment? That is, which property of the system can we use to measure the chaos in the experiment?
Thank you!

1. What is quantum chaos?

Quantum chaos is the study of chaotic behavior in quantum systems. It involves understanding how classical chaotic systems behave in the quantum realm and how quantum systems exhibit chaos.

2. How is quantum chaos different from classical chaos?

In classical chaos, the behavior of a system is unpredictable due to small changes in initial conditions. In quantum chaos, the unpredictability is due to the superposition principle and the uncertainty principle, which make it impossible to precisely measure a system's state.

3. What are some examples of quantum chaotic systems?

Some examples of quantum chaotic systems include the quantum billiards, the quantum kicked rotor, and the hydrogen atom in a magnetic field.

4. What are the potential applications of studying quantum chaos?

Studying quantum chaos can help us understand and predict the behavior of complex quantum systems, which can have applications in fields such as quantum computing, materials science, and cryptography.

5. What are some experiments that can be conducted to explore quantum chaos?

Some experiments that can be conducted to explore quantum chaos include studying the energy level statistics of quantum systems, observing the behavior of chaotic quantum systems under different initial conditions, and studying the quantum signatures of classical chaos in experimental systems.