AP Physics 2-D Motion cramming and could use much much help please

In summary, to find the maximum altitude reached by the rocket, you will need to use the equation y = 1/2at^2 + v0t + y0, where a is the acceleration due to gravity and can be found by multiplying g by the sine of the angle of 53.1 degrees. The initial y-velocity, v0y, is 0 since the rocket is initially at rest on the ground. However, the rocket does not reach its maximum height at time T when the engines stop, so you will need to use the equation v_y(t) = a_yt + v0y to find the time at which the rocket reaches its maximum height. Then, using this time, you can calculate
Drewser

Homework Statement

A rocket is intially at rest on the ground when its engines are fired the rocket flies off in a straight line at an angle of 53.1 degrees abovie the horizontal with a constant acceleration of magnitute g, the engines stop at time T after launch after which the rocket is a projectile Ignore air resistance and assume g is independant of altitude

C) Find the max altitude reached by the rocket andswer in terms of g and T
D) Find the horizontal distance from the launch point to where the rocket hits the ground answer in terms of g and T

(already got A and B CD are the last two)

Homework Equations

Im thinking that you use
y= 1/2gt^2 + Voyt+ Yo

The Attempt at a Solution

y=1/2gt^2 + Voyt+ Yo
y= 1/2 .8gT^2+0T+0
y=1/2 .8gT^2

now i got the .8 from using Voy=vsin53.1 is that correct?

and then after all that I just added that equation to the distance from when the rockets turned off the engines to when the verticle velocity would = 0... can someone please do this problem and explain in detail the best you can for each step and why you did it, i don't even know where to start with D

Physics news on Phys.org
Drewser said:

Homework Statement

A rocket is intially at rest on the ground when its engines are fired the rocket flies off in a straight line at an angle of 53.1 degrees abovie the horizontal with a constant acceleration of magnitute g, the engines stop at time T after launch after which the rocket is a projectile Ignore air resistance and assume g is independant of altitude

C) Find the max altitude reached by the rocket andswer in terms of g and T
D) Find the horizontal distance from the launch point to where the rocket hits the ground answer in terms of g and T

(already got A and B CD are the last two)

Homework Equations

Im thinking that you use
y= 1/2gt^2 + Voyt+ Yo

The Attempt at a Solution

y=1/2gt^2 + Voyt+ Yo
y= 1/2 .8gT^2+0T+0
y=1/2 .8gT^2

now i got the .8 from using Voy=vsin53.1 is that correct?

and then after all that I just added that equation to the distance from when the rockets turned off the engines to when the verticle velocity would = 0... can someone please do this problem and explain in detail the best you can for each step and why you did it, i don't even know where to start with D

The initial velocity of the rocket is[tex]v_0[/tex] [tex]v_{0y}[/tex] is its y-component. The initial velocity of an object that is accelerated from rest is always zero and so [tex]v_{0y}=0[/tex].

The equation for the height of the rocket at a time [tex]t[/tex] should be
[tex]y=\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2+ v_{0y}t+y_0[/tex]
not [tex]y=\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ v_0yt+y_0[/tex]
where [tex]a_y=gsin(53.1^{\circ})[/tex].

In addition, there is no reason to assume that the rocket reaches its maximum height at time [tex]t=T[/tex]; just because the rocket stops accelerating at [tex]t=T[/tex], does not mean that it suddenly stops moving. Instead, it will begin decelerating due to gravity starting with an initial velocity [tex]v_T=v(T)[/tex] until it reaches a maximum height, at which [tex]v_y=0[/tex], at some time later than [tex]T[/tex] and then continue falling until it hits the ground.

To calculate this height, you will first need to determine [tex]v_T=v(T)[/tex] from [tex]v_y(t)=a_yt+v_{0y}[/tex] and then find the time at which the rocket reaches its maximum height i.e. when [tex]v=0[/tex] (of course [tex]v=0[/tex] both at [tex]t=0[/tex] and at [tex]t=t_{max}[/tex] but you are obviously looking for the [tex]t=t_{max}>T[/tex] solution) and then finally you can use the equation [tex]y=\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2+ v_{0y}t+y_0[/tex] to find [tex]y_{max}=y(t_{max})[/tex]. Be careful to use [tex]a_y=gsin(53.1^{\circ})[/tex] only for the part where the rocket is accelerating upwards (i.e. when [tex]T>t>0[/tex]) and [tex]a_y=-g[/tex] when the rocket stops firing and starts falling due to gravity. Also I strongly recommend you post both the questions for (a) and (b) as well as your solutions, so that we can check them. After you properly work out (a), (b), and (c) I will help you with part (d).

1. What is AP Physics 2-D Motion cramming?

AP Physics 2-D Motion cramming refers to the practice of quickly reviewing and studying the concepts and formulas related to two-dimensional motion in preparation for the AP Physics exam. This is typically done when a student has limited time to study and needs to focus on a specific topic.

2. Why is it important to cram for AP Physics 2-D Motion?

Cramming for AP Physics 2-D Motion can help students refresh their knowledge and understanding of the subject before the exam. It can also help them identify any areas they may need to review or practice more, and improve their overall performance on the exam.

3. How can I effectively cram for AP Physics 2-D Motion?

To effectively cram for AP Physics 2-D Motion, it is important to have a clear understanding of the concepts and formulas related to two-dimensional motion. Students can review their notes, textbooks, and practice problems to refresh their memory and identify any areas they may need to focus on. It is also helpful to create a study schedule and break down the material into smaller, manageable chunks.

4. What are some tips for successful AP Physics 2-D Motion cramming?

Some tips for successful AP Physics 2-D Motion cramming include starting early, practicing with past AP exam questions, seeking help from teachers or peers if needed, and taking breaks to avoid burnout. It is also important to prioritize and focus on the most important concepts and formulas.

5. Is cramming for AP Physics 2-D Motion the best way to study?

No, cramming is not the most effective way to study for any subject, including AP Physics 2-D Motion. It is always recommended to review and practice consistently throughout the year rather than trying to cram all the material in a short period of time. However, if a student has limited time to prepare for the exam, cramming can be a helpful tool to supplement their study efforts.