Effect of pressure on hydrogen spectrum

In summary, the individual is seeking to understand the relationship between the intensity of the hydrogen spectrum and the pressure of the hydrogen gas. They are wondering if high pressure results in more ultraviolet or less and if there is a chart available for reference. The responder suggests that high pressure may not necessarily lead to high energy transitions, and that this may depend on the temperature as well.
zincshow
I am interested in finding and understanding the relationship between the hydrogen spectrum (which of the lines are more intense) and the pressure that the hydrogen gas is under. Does hi-pressure gas mean lots of ultraviolet or hardly any? Is there a chart somewhere?

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
zincshow said:
I am interested in finding and understanding the relationship between the hydrogen spectrum (which of the lines are more intense) and the pressure that the hydrogen gas is under. Does hi-pressure gas mean lots of ultraviolet or hardly any? Is there a chart somewhere?

TIA
Hi,

I can hardly imagine hi-pressure without high temperature though it is possible. The fact is that if your hi-pressure is related to high temperatures then you will have high energy transitions. However if you have high pressure with room temperature I don't think (i have the Boltzmann factor in mind) that you will have such high energy transitions...

I can assure you that the relationship between pressure and the hydrogen spectrum is a well-studied topic in the field of spectroscopy. The intensity of the lines in the hydrogen spectrum is directly influenced by the pressure of the gas.

When hydrogen gas is under high pressure, the atoms are more closely packed together and collisions between them are more frequent. This results in a broadening of the spectral lines and an increase in their intensity. On the other hand, at low pressures, the spectral lines are sharper and less intense.

To answer your question regarding ultraviolet light, high pressure in a hydrogen gas would result in more collisions and therefore more energy being released. This can lead to the emission of ultraviolet light, but this is not always the case. The specific wavelengths emitted depend on various factors such as the gas temperature and the energy levels of the hydrogen atoms.

There are many charts and graphs available that show the relationship between pressure and the intensity of the hydrogen spectrum lines. I suggest looking into the work of famous scientists such as Niels Bohr and Max Planck, who have made significant contributions to this field. Additionally, modern spectroscopy tools and software can also provide detailed information on the hydrogen spectrum under different pressure conditions.

In conclusion, the relationship between pressure and the hydrogen spectrum is a complex and fascinating topic that has been extensively studied by scientists. I hope this response has provided some insight into your inquiry and sparked your interest in further exploring this subject.

1. How does pressure affect the hydrogen spectrum?

Increasing pressure on a hydrogen gas sample causes the atoms to move closer together, resulting in a higher collision rate between the electrons and protons. This increased collision rate leads to a broadening of the spectral lines in the hydrogen spectrum.

2. Can pressure change the energy levels of hydrogen atoms?

Yes, pressure can change the energy levels of hydrogen atoms. When pressure is applied to a hydrogen gas sample, the energy levels of the atoms are compressed, causing the spectral lines to shift to shorter wavelengths.

3. Is the effect of pressure on the hydrogen spectrum the same for all spectral lines?

No, the effect of pressure on the hydrogen spectrum varies for different spectral lines. The spectral lines with the lowest energy levels are affected the most, while those with higher energy levels are less affected.

4. Does pressure affect the intensity of the spectral lines in the hydrogen spectrum?

Yes, pressure can affect the intensity of the spectral lines in the hydrogen spectrum. As pressure increases, the number of collisions between the electrons and protons increases, leading to a decrease in the intensity of the spectral lines.

5. How does pressure affect the overall shape of the hydrogen spectrum?

Increasing pressure on a hydrogen gas sample causes the spectral lines to broaden and shift to shorter wavelengths. This results in a change in the overall shape of the hydrogen spectrum, with a decrease in the sharpness of the spectral lines and a shift towards shorter wavelengths.