Pendulum in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a wrench's moment of inertia about a hook, given its length, period of oscillation, and its effect on a spring. The attempt at a solution involves using equations for force and inertia, but the correct answer is found by considering the wrench as a physical pendulum. The final equation for moment of inertia is provided, along with a helpful link for further information.
smile05

Homework Statement

A 20 cm long (L) wrench swings on its hook with a period of 0.90s. When the wrench hangs from a spring of spring constant 360 N/m (k), it stretches the spring 3.0 cm (x). What is the wrench's moment of inertia about the hook.
A diagram also shows that the centre of mass for the wrench is 14cm (d) from the hook (i.e pivot point).

Homework Equations

Fsp = -ks
Fg = mg
I = Icm + md^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Fsp = -10.8 N
Fsp = Fg gives m = 1.1 kg
Icm for a rod with a pivot in one of the edges is 1/3mL^2
Therefore, I = 1/3mL^2 + md^2 = 0.036 kg m^2

However, that answer is not correct, the correct answer according to the textbook is 0.031 kg m^2. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have assumed a moment of inertia initially as being a rod and this is not what they are suggesting.

What they give you is information about a physical pendulum.

Such a pendulum can be determined to have as a period of oscillation

T = 2π(I/m*g*L)½

To find I then:

I = m*g*L*T2/2π

Oh now I understand! Thank you so much! :)

1. What is a pendulum in simple harmonic motion?

A pendulum in simple harmonic motion is a type of oscillating motion in which a suspended object (the pendulum) swings back and forth between two points due to the force of gravity. This motion is considered simple harmonic because it follows a predictable pattern and can be described using mathematical equations.

2. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The length of a pendulum does have an effect on its period, which is the time it takes for one complete swing. According to the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity, the longer the pendulum, the longer its period will be.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of a pendulum in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of a pendulum in simple harmonic motion is affected by the initial displacement of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, and the force of gravity. The larger the initial displacement and the longer the pendulum, the greater the amplitude will be. The force of gravity also plays a role in determining the amplitude, as a stronger gravitational force will result in a larger amplitude.

4. How is the energy of a pendulum in simple harmonic motion related to its amplitude?

The energy of a pendulum in simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the energy of the pendulum. This relationship is described by the equation E = ½kA², where E is the energy, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the pendulum's support), and A is the amplitude.

5. Can the motion of a pendulum ever be perfectly simple harmonic?

In theory, the motion of a pendulum can be perfectly simple harmonic if certain conditions are met, such as having a perfectly rigid support and no air resistance. However, in reality, these conditions are difficult to achieve and there will always be some factors that can affect the motion of a pendulum. As a result, the motion of a pendulum may not be perfectly simple harmonic, but it can still be approximated using simple harmonic motion equations.