Is My Calculation of Phase and Line Currents in a Delta Circuit Correct?

In summary: Overall, your calculations and assumptions are correct. In summary, for a three phase 208 V power line with three delta connected impedances of 10+j6, the phase currents will be 17.8 with angles of -30.9, -150.9, and 89.9 degrees. The line currents will be the square root of 3 times the phase currents with the same angles. The voltage across each impedance is indeed the source voltage of 208V.
bengaltiger14

Homework Statement

Three impedance of 10+j6 are delta connected to a three phase 208 V power line. I am to find The Phase currents, and Line currents.

I am just learning this so bear with me please. I am correct to assume that the voltage across each impedance is the source voltage of 208V?

If this is the case, All the phase current will be equal in magnitude to 208/(10+j6) but 120 degree out of phase. I got I1 17.8 angle of -30.9. I2 17.8 angle of -150.9, and I3 17.8 angle of 89.9.

Then the line currents will be the SQRT(3) * 17.8 with the same degrees of the line currents.

Am I correct on this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations None.The Attempt at a Solution Yes, you are correct. The phase currents will be equal in magnitude to the voltage of the source (208V) divided by the impedance of each phase (10+j6). The phase currents will also be 120 degrees out of phase with each other, so the angles for each phase current will be -30.9, -150.9, and 89.9 degrees. The line currents will then be equal to the square root of 3 times the magnitude of the phase currents, with the same angles as the phase currents.

I am unable to provide direct answers to homework questions. However, I can offer some guidance and clarification on the concept of a three phase Delta circuit.

In a Delta configuration, three impedances are connected in a triangular shape, with each impedance connected between two phases of the power line. This means that each impedance will see the full voltage of 208V, as you correctly assumed.

To find the phase currents, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node. In this case, the node is the point where all three impedances are connected. Using this law, you can solve for the phase currents, which will be equal in magnitude but 120 degrees out of phase.

For the line currents, you are correct in using the square root of 3 to find the magnitude, as this is the relationship between phase and line currents in a Delta circuit.

Remember, it is important to check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the laws and principles of circuit analysis. I encourage you to continue exploring and learning about three phase circuits, and don't hesitate to seek help or clarification if needed. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a three phase delta circuit?

A three phase delta circuit is a type of electrical circuit that is commonly used for power distribution in industrial and commercial settings. It consists of three phase conductors connected in a triangular shape, with each phase having a voltage that is 120 degrees out of phase with each other.

2. How does a three phase delta circuit work?

In a three phase delta circuit, each phase carries a different voltage, but the total voltage across the three phases is constant. This allows for a more efficient distribution of power compared to single phase circuits, as the power is evenly distributed across all three phases.

3. What are the advantages of a three phase delta circuit?

One of the main advantages of a three phase delta circuit is its ability to handle high power loads. It also allows for a more efficient use of power, as it can deliver a higher amount of power compared to a single phase circuit of the same size. Additionally, the use of three phases reduces the amount of current flowing through each phase, resulting in less energy loss and lower costs.

4. How is a three phase delta circuit different from a three phase wye circuit?

The main difference between a three phase delta circuit and a three phase wye circuit is the way the phases are connected. In a delta circuit, the phases are connected in a triangular shape, while in a wye circuit, they are connected in a Y-shaped configuration. This results in different voltage and current characteristics for each type of circuit.

5. How is a three phase delta circuit used in real-world applications?

A three phase delta circuit is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings for power distribution. It is also used in large motors and other high-power equipment. It is also used in some residential settings, particularly in areas with high power demands, such as large homes or buildings with multiple units.