Intermediate variable chain rule question.

In summary, the multivariable chain rule can be used to solve problems involving functions expressed in terms of multiple independent variables. In this case, the formula for finding the partial derivative with respect to r and theta is \frac{\partial w}{\partial r}=\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial r} and \frac{\partial w}{\partial \theta} = \frac{\partial w}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} + \frac{\partial w}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}. By using this formula
v0id19

Homework Statement

Suppose that w=f(x,y), x=r*cos(θ), y=r*sin(θ). Show that:
[tex](\frac{\partial w}{\partial x})^2 + (\frac{\partial w}{\partial y})^2 =(\frac{\partial w}{\partial r})^2 + \frac{1}{r^2} (\frac{\partial w}{\partial \theta})^2 [/tex]

Homework Equations

the multivariable chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

we just were taught this yesterday, but my prof didn't exactly do a good job, and I'm doing a good job at figuring it out and understanding it, but all I'm able to do is use the chain rule with respect to the independent variables (r and θ in this case), and i can't figure out how to use it for the intermediate variables x and y and my book doesn't have any examples of this. I'm sure it's something really obvious that I'm missing, but i just haven't had that lightbulb moment...

Physics news on Phys.org
w depends on x and y

x depends on r and theta; y depends on r and theta

If r changes, then x and y are influenced, and each of them influences w, so the formula for [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial r}[/tex] will have to include x and y.

This helps you remember that the formula is
[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial r}=\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}[/tex]

The intuition and formula for [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial \theta} [/tex] are similar.

--

Now turning to your problem, on the left hand side, there is nothing to do. [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x} [/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial y} [/tex] do not simplify.

On the right hand side, use
[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial r}=\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}[/tex]
and the analogous formula for [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial \theta} [/tex], find the partials with respect to r and theta, and simplify.

Part of the confusion in this type of problem stems from the abuse of notation whereby the same notation, in this case w is used for the function whether it is expressed in terms of x and y or r and theta. To more properly phrase the question it should be given as follows:

If [tex] w(x,y) = W(r,\theta)[/tex], where [tex]x = r\cos(\theta)\, y = r \sin(\theta)[/tex], show that

[tex]w_{x}^2 + w_{y}^2 = W_r^2+\frac 1 {r^2}W_{\theta}^2[/tex]

Now start with the right side and use the chain rule in this form:

[tex]W_r = w_r = w_x x_r + w_y y_r[/tex]

[tex]W_{\theta} = w_{\theta} = w_x x_{\theta} + w_y y_{\theta}[/tex]

The partials [tex] x_r,\ y_r,\ x_{\theta},\ y_{\theta}[/tex] are easy to calculate from your equations. Manipulate that a bit and you should get the required equation.

Once you have done this a couple of times, it likely won't confuse you to use the lower case w for W. Although they aren't the same function, many texts do this.

1. What is an intermediate variable chain rule?

An intermediate variable chain rule is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the derivative of a composite function. It allows for the simplification of complex functions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. How do you use the intermediate variable chain rule?

To use the intermediate variable chain rule, you first identify the composite function and then break it down into smaller functions. Next, you find the derivatives of each individual function and substitute them into the chain rule formula. Finally, you simplify the equation to find the derivative of the composite function.

3. Why is the intermediate variable chain rule important?

The intermediate variable chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions that cannot be solved using traditional rules. It is also widely used in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the intermediate variable chain rule?

Some common mistakes when using the intermediate variable chain rule include not correctly identifying the composite function, not finding the derivatives of each individual function correctly, and not simplifying the equation properly.

5. Can the intermediate variable chain rule be applied to any composite function?

Yes, the intermediate variable chain rule can be applied to any composite function as long as the individual functions are differentiable. However, it may become more complex and challenging to use for more complicated functions.