Coupled non linear ordinary differential equations.

In summary, the conversation discusses a set of ten dependent variables and one independent variable in the form of differential equations. The goal is to find constants of motion, or functions of the dependent variables that do not depend on the independent variable. Two independent constants of motion are found through inspection, but there is a question of whether there are more and if there is a systematic way to find them. The equations used in the conversation are also provided.
rkrsnan
I have a set of ten dependent variables x1, x2 ... x10 and an independent variable t. The differential equations are of the form

d x1 /dt = f1(x1, x2... x10)
d x2 /dt = f2(x1, x2... x10)
d x10 /dt = f10(x1, x2... x10)

where f1, f2 ...f10 are non linear functions of x1, x2...x10

I am not interested in solving these equations, all I want is to find constants of motion, ie some functions of x1, x2 ... x10 which do not depend on t. I can find two independent constants of motion just by inspection. I am hoping that there are more, but is there any systematic way to find them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I will explicitely give the equations here.
Lets rename the dependent variables [tex]x_1, x_2, x_3, y_1, y_2, y_3, z_1, z_2, w_1, w_2[/tex].
The independent variable is [tex]t[/tex].
[tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are constants.

[tex]\frac{dx_1}{dt}= -2(a - 3 (x_1+y_1)) x_1 + 3 (x_1^2 - 2 x_2 x_3 - z_1) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy_1}{dt}= -2(b - 3 (x_1+y_1)) y_1 + 3 (y_1^2 - 2 y_2 y_3 - z_1) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx_2}{dt}= 2(a - 3 (x_1+y_1)) x_2 - 9 + 3 w_2 [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy_2}{dt}= 2(b - 3 (x_1+y_1)) y_2 - 9 + 3 w_1 [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx_3}{dt}= 3 x_3(-2(a - 3 (x_1+y_1)) + x_1-y_1) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy_3}{dt}= 3 y_3(-2(b - 3 (x_1+y_1)) + y_1-x_1) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dz_1}{dt}= z_1(-2 (a +b - 6 (x_1+y_1))) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dz_2}{dt}= z_2( 2 (a +b - 6 (x_1+y_1))) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dw_1}{dt}= w_1(-2 (a -b +6 x_1))-6 x_1 + 6 x_3(z_2-x_2 y_2) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dw_2}{dt}= w_2(2 (a -b +6 y_1))-6 y_1 + 6 y_3(z_2-x_2 y_2) [/tex]

From inspection you can see that [tex]\frac{d(z_1 z_2)}{dt} = 0 , \frac{d(x_3 y_3 z_2^3)}{dt} = 0, \frac{d(x_3 y_3 / z_1^3)}{dt} = 0[/tex]. Out of the three constants of motion I have written only two are independent. The question is can you find more? Is there a systematic method to find the constants of motion?

Thanks a lot!

1. What are coupled non linear ordinary differential equations?

Coupled non linear ordinary differential equations are a type of mathematical model that describes the relationship between multiple variables. They involve derivatives of these variables and can be used to study complex systems in various fields such as physics, biology, and engineering.

2. How are coupled non linear ordinary differential equations different from regular differential equations?

The main difference between coupled non linear ordinary differential equations and regular differential equations is that the former involve multiple variables that are interdependent and nonlinear. This makes them more complex to solve and often requires numerical methods.

3. What are some real-world applications of coupled non linear ordinary differential equations?

Coupled non linear ordinary differential equations have many real-world applications, such as modeling chemical reactions, population dynamics, and electrical circuits. They are also used in weather forecasting, economics, and epidemiology.

4. How are coupled non linear ordinary differential equations solved?

Solving coupled non linear ordinary differential equations can be challenging and often requires numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, or finite difference methods. These methods involve breaking down the equations into smaller, simpler steps that can be solved sequentially.

5. What are some common challenges in solving coupled non linear ordinary differential equations?

Some common challenges in solving coupled non linear ordinary differential equations include finding appropriate initial conditions, determining the appropriate numerical method to use, and dealing with stiff equations that may require more advanced techniques. It is also important to check for stability and accuracy of the solution.