Solve Tension Problem: 3kg Mass, 5.4kg Brick, 12.01N Friction

• Thread starter David999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the total tension in the rope for this lab exercise involving a 3kg mass hanging over a pulley and a 5.4kg brick attached by a rope accelerating over a horizontal surface can be calculated by finding the net force on the brick, which is equal to the difference between the tension caused by the mass and the frictional force. The equation for this is T_{net} = F_{net} = (T_{mass} - F_{friction}).
David999

Homework Statement

Well for a lab we did, there's a 3kg mass hanging over a pulley, attached to a 5.4kg brick by a rope, causing the brick to accelerate over a horizontal surface. I have no idea how I'm supposed to calculate the tension.

Oh, and the force of friction is 12.01 N.

Homework Equations

F=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The total tension in the rope will be the net force acting on the brick. If you draw a free-body diagram, you see that the net force is equal to the frictional force subtracted from the tension caused by the 3kg mass.

[tex]T_{net}[/tex] = [tex]F_{net}[/tex] = ([tex]T_{mass}[/tex] - [tex]F_{friction}[/tex])

David999 said:

Homework Statement

Well for a lab we did, there's a 3kg mass hanging over a pulley, attached to a 5.4kg brick by a rope, causing the brick to accelerate over a horizontal surface. I have no idea how I'm supposed to calculate the tension.

Oh, and the force of friction is 12.01 N.

Homework Equations

F=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin.

Thank you!

Two forces (weight force minus tension force) act on the mass causing it to accelerate downward and two forces (tension force minus friction force) act on the brick causing it to accelerate horizontally at the same rate as the mass.

SArnab said:
The total tension in the rope will be the net force acting on the brick. If you draw a free-body diagram, you see that the net force is equal to the frictional force subtracted from the tension caused by the 3kg mass.

[tex]T_{net}[/tex] = [tex]F_{net}[/tex] = ([tex]T_{mass}[/tex] - [tex]F_{friction}[/tex])

You're a lifesaver! Thank you so much!

I had actually drawn a FBD and got tension= Fnet, but the there was a question on the lab which through me off... the equation you gave solves everything!

1. What is the formula for calculating tension in a system?

The formula for calculating tension in a system is T = μmg, where T is tension, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I determine the coefficient of friction in a system?

The coefficient of friction can be determined through experimentation or by consulting reference tables. It is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces.

3. How does the mass of the objects affect the tension in the system?

The mass of the objects has a direct impact on the tension in the system. As the mass increases, the tension also increases, assuming the coefficient of friction and other variables remain constant.

4. What units should be used when calculating tension?

The units for tension depend on the units used for mass, acceleration due to gravity, and the coefficient of friction. It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation to ensure accuracy.

5. Can the tension in a system ever be greater than the weight of the objects?

No, the tension in a system cannot be greater than the weight of the objects. Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable, and it can never exceed the force applied by the weight of the objects.