Which of the following statements are IMPOSSIBLE?

• Thread starter traveler7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, the statements that are impossible are: a perfectly functioning hydraulic with two different pressures, a container displacing more liquid than it can hold, and a substance undergoing melting while maintaining a constant temperature. The others are possible depending on the specific circumstances.
traveler7

Homework Statement

Which of the following statements are IMPOSSIBLE? Choose all that apply.

___A perfectly functioning hydraulic had a pressure of 36 Pa in the fluid near the small piston and a pressure of 37 Pa in the fluid near the big piston.
___A 35 L container displaced 42 L of orange juice when partially submerged.
___A substance underwent melting during which its temperature remained constant at 33 °C.
___A 37 N brick was fully submerged in water. The buoyant force on the brick was 48 N. As a direct result, the brick was neutrally buoyant.
___Last Friday, the Sun heated the Moon via convection.
___The temperature inside a vacuum chamber was measured to be 3 °C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on what I have learned this is my attempt:

_x__A perfectly functioning hydraulic had a pressure of 36 Pa in the fluid near the small piston and a pressure of 37 Pa in the fluid near the big piston.
_x__A 35 L container displaced 42 L of orange juice when partially submerged.
___A substance underwent melting during which its temperature remained constant at 33 °C.
_x__A 37 N brick was fully submerged in water. The buoyant force on the brick was 48 N. As a direct result, the brick was neutrally buoyant.
_x__Last Friday, the Sun heated the Moon via convection.
___The temperature inside a vacuum chamber was measured to be 3 °C.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try defining temperature in a perfect vacuum.

So what is your question? Can you provide reasoning why the ones you marked are impossible?

Saraphim said:
Try defining temperature in a perfect vacuum.
A vacuum chamber does not necessarily hold a perfect vacuum, in fact it never does, not to mention black body radiation.

kuruman said:
A vacuum chamber does not necessarily hold a perfect vacuum, in fact it never does, not to mention black body radiation.

You are of course right. I'm too used to idealized questions. :)

well a vacuum chamber has no air,
so would it be 0 K meaning their is no motion in the particles...

so the vacuum one would be impossible too?

My other question is:
is this possible:
A substance underwent melting during which its temperature remained constant at 33 °C

traveler7 said:
well a vacuum chamber has no air,
so would it be 0 K meaning their is no motion in the particles...
I know plenty of vacuum chambers that have air in them. The statement of the question is
"The temperature inside a vacuum chamber was measured to be 3 °C." There is no mention whether there is gas in it or not. Why do you assume that it contains a perfect vacuum which doesn't even exist?
My other question is:
is this possible:
A substance underwent melting during which its temperature remained constant at 33 °C
What happens to the temperature of a substance when it undergoes a phase transition from solid to liquid? Think of melting ice.

I asked my teacher about a vacuum chamber today and he said that it contains no air

and thanks for the other one I understand it now

OK. Assume that the vacuum chamber has not even a single molecule of air. You stick a mercury thermometer in it. Originally the thermometer reads 3 oC. Will the mercury column drop and indicate a lower temperaure?

1. What is the definition of impossible?

The definition of impossible is something that cannot be done or achieved, either due to physical or logical constraints.

2. Can something that is currently impossible become possible in the future?

Yes, advancements in technology and scientific discoveries can make something that was once impossible, possible in the future.

3. How do you determine if something is truly impossible?

Determining if something is truly impossible requires thorough research, experimentation, and analysis. It also depends on the current understanding and limitations of science and technology.

4. What are some examples of things that are considered impossible?

Some examples of things that are considered impossible are time travel, perpetual motion machines, and telekinesis.

5. Is it important to pursue something that is deemed impossible?

While it is important to push the boundaries and challenge the impossible, it is also important to prioritize and focus on achievable goals that can lead to practical solutions and advancements.