Exploring Causal Dynamical Triangulation: A Guide

In summary, causal dynamical triangulations is a method used to avoid the problem of producing jumbled or minimal universes with too many or too few dimensions. It incorporates the causal structure at an early stage by assigning arrows of time to each simplex and enforcing causal gluing rules. This prevents the formation of wormholes or other spatial artifacts. The method also involves discrete time slicing, similar to the method used in video game programming. However, some have raised concerns about using a global time variable instead of having time emerge with space.
inflector
I've read the references in Wikipedia and most of the Loll et al. papers.

At wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_dynamical_triangulation

I read:

Where previous attempts at triangulation of quantum spaces have produced jumbled universes with far too many dimensions, or minimal universes with too few, CDT avoids this problem by allowing only those configurations where cause precedes any event.

This sounds logical, but the mechanism doesn't make sense to me. For example, in the July 2008 Scientific American article:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-self-organizing-quantum-universe&page=3

Renate Loll says:

Euclidean quantum gravity does not build in a notion of causality. The term "Euclidean" indicates that space and time are treated equally. The universes that enter the Euclidean superposition have four spatial directions instead of the usual one of time and three of space. Because Euclidean universes have no distinct notion of time, they have no structure to put events into a specific order; people living in these universes would not have the words "cause" or "effect" in their vocabulary. Hawking and others taking this approach have said that "time is imaginary," in both a mathematical sense and a colloquial one. Their hope was that causality would emerge as a large-scale property from microscopic quantum fluctuations that individually carry no imprint of a causal structure. But the computer simulations dashed that hope.

Instead of disregarding causality when assembling individual universes and hoping for it to reappear through the collective wisdom of the superposition, we decided to incorporate the causal structure at a much earlier stage. The technical term for our method is causal dynamical triangulations. In it, we first assign each simplex an arrow of time pointing from the past to the future. Then we enforce causal gluing rules: two simplices must be glued together to keep their arrows pointing in the same direction. The simplices must share a notion of time, which unfolds steadily in the direction of these arrows and never stands still or runs backward. Space keeps its overall form as time advances; it cannot break up into disconnected pieces or create wormholes.

What I don't understand is how one can have a single-direction spacetime.

If the arrows point in the same direction or there is a one-way direction of causality, this implies to my naive brain that time would only flow in one direction in this spacetime. So I feel like I must be missing something important.

What exactly is involved in the gluing of the 4-simplices together and how do these arrows work?

Is it that the 4-simplices are supposed to represent all of space and all of time (i.e. past, present, and future)?

Physics news on Phys.org

Causal means that that time is included in the Dynamical Triangulation.

I think the arrows of time are encoded into each simplex by a discrete time variable, t. As the simulation runs (space evolves) the simplices are glued together to create space.

Only simplices that are casually connected, i.e. a simplex with t + 0 can be glued to a simplex with t + 1.

This prevents simulation from joining pieces of space that are not in the same time slice, i.e. aren't connected casuality. So you don't have some space from the far past connected to space from the future ( a worm hole ). e.g. A simplex with t + 0 shouldn't be glued to a simplex with t - 10. You now have a worm hole or some weird spatial artifact.

How these simplexes get encoded with time is through something called "discrete time slicing". As a video game programmer, I know a lot about that, but am curious if they used the same method in their universe simulation.

Generally we just keep a global time variable and use that for figuring out casual time slices. Smolin says it's ok to do this for this type of simulation, but It feels like cheating to me cause you're not having time emerge with space. But, they are ones with the results :)

Last edited:

1. What is Causal Dynamical Triangulation (CDT)?

CDT is a method of studying spacetime in quantum gravity, which involves dividing spacetime into discrete building blocks called simplices and then connecting them in a triangular network. This approach allows for the exploration of the geometry and dynamics of spacetime at very small scales.

2. How does CDT differ from other theories of quantum gravity?

Unlike other theories that attempt to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity, CDT does not rely on the concept of continuous spacetime. Instead, it uses a discrete approach, which may be better suited for understanding the behavior of spacetime at the Planck scale.

3. What are the main objectives of exploring CDT?

The main objectives of exploring CDT are to gain a better understanding of the nature of spacetime at the quantum level and to potentially provide a consistent framework for quantum gravity. It also has potential applications in other areas of physics, such as understanding the early universe and black holes.

4. What are some challenges in studying CDT?

One of the main challenges in studying CDT is the computational complexity of simulating spacetime at the Planck scale. This requires advanced computing techniques and algorithms. Additionally, there is still much to be understood about the underlying principles and mathematical foundations of CDT.

5. What are the potential implications of CDT for our understanding of the universe?

If successful, CDT could provide a unified theory of quantum gravity that may help resolve some of the current paradoxes and inconsistencies in our understanding of the universe. It could also potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in other areas of science.