Elemental composition of the body

In summary, the conversation discusses the composition of the human body in terms of hydrogen isotopes. It is mentioned that 10% of the body mass consists of hydrogen, including all natural isotopes such as deuterium and tritium. However, the isotopic distribution may not always be identical and can vary depending on the source.
Lisa!
Gold Member
So when it says that 10% of the body mass consists of Hydrogen, does it mean only 1H(single proton) or it also includes other natural isotopes of hydrogen (deuterium and tritium ) ? I know that 1H is the most common hydrogen isotope with an abundance of more than 99.98%, but I just wanted to know exaactly what it means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_of_the_human_body

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That includes all of the isotopes of hydrogen. It will reflect the isotopic distribution of everything you ingest. I'm not too sure about tritium though. I would hope that particular isotope is present in extremely low concentrations.

chemisttree said:
That includes all of the isotopes of hydrogen. It will reflect the isotopic distribution of everything you ingest. I'm not too sure about tritium though. I would hope that particular isotope is present in extremely low concentrations.

Thank you!:smile:

To muddy water - isotopic distribution is not always identical.

See for example http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Periodic+table+weighty+revamp/3978117/story.html .

Not that it is something new, fact that atomic masses of elements are different depending on the source is known for many years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
To muddy water - isotopic distribution is not always identical.

See for example http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Periodic+table+weighty+revamp/3978117/story.html .

Not that it is something new, fact that atomic masses of elements are different depending on the source is known for many years.

hmmm...That's interesting!Thank you:smile:
Thanks God that I'm not at school anymore:biggrin:

Lisa! said:
hmmm...That's interesting!Thank you:smile:
Thanks God that I'm not at school anymore:biggrin:

And http://pubs.acs.org/stoken/presspac/presspac/full/10.1021/jf1003539" too!

What is the elemental composition of the human body?

The human body is primarily composed of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen. These four elements make up about 96% of the body's mass. Other elements such as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, and sodium make up the remaining 4%.

How is the elemental composition of the body determined?

The elemental composition of the body is determined through various methods, including chemical analysis of tissues, atomic absorption spectroscopy, and neutron activation analysis. These techniques allow scientists to accurately measure the levels of different elements present in the body.

Does the elemental composition of the body vary among individuals?

Yes, the elemental composition of the body can vary among individuals based on factors such as age, gender, and diet. For example, the elemental composition of a child's body will be different from that of an adult due to the differences in growth and development.

Why is understanding the elemental composition of the body important?

Understanding the elemental composition of the body is important for several reasons. It helps us understand the biochemical processes that occur in the body, provides insights into the effects of different nutrients and toxins on our health, and aids in the development of medical treatments and diagnostic tools.

How does the elemental composition of the body change over time?

The elemental composition of the body can change over time due to various factors such as aging, disease, and environmental exposures. For example, as we age, the levels of certain elements in our body may decrease, while others may increase. Additionally, exposure to certain toxins or pollutants can alter the elemental composition of the body.