Atmospheric Extinction of Light

In summary, the conversation discusses the visibility of a 2,000 candelas red light source under normal rural atmospheric conditions. It is stated that the answer may depend on the time of day and various factors such as weather, season, and location. More specific information is needed to provide a precise answer.
MK-IV
If I have a 2,000 candelas red light source under normal rural atmospheric conditions at what distance would I expect the source to no longer be visible to the eye?

Science news on Phys.org
Are you assuming an atmosphere that is almost completely free of dust and other particles that would also absorb the light?

I am assuming a normal rural atmosphere in the western United States containing dusts with a relatively low humidity component.

MK-IV said:
I am assuming a normal rural atmosphere in the western United States containing dusts with a relatively low humidity component.

Hrmm. I can't help you out, but hopefully someone else can.

MK-IV said:
If I have a 2,000 candelas red light source under normal rural atmospheric conditions at what distance would I expect the source to no longer be visible to the eye?

At first glance, it would seem that this may depend on the time of day. In the way that the Sun blinds us from stars.

I have no idea where to actually get sufficient data to compute this, but from visibility requirements I remember from flight training, I could tell you that the answer would vary greatly with weather, season, and location. So if you need a specific answer, you are going to have to provide more specific situation.

1. What is atmospheric extinction of light?

Atmospheric extinction of light is the phenomenon where light is scattered and absorbed as it passes through Earth's atmosphere, resulting in a decrease in the amount of light reaching the Earth's surface.

2. What causes atmospheric extinction of light?

Atmospheric extinction is caused by various factors, such as scattering of light by gas molecules, dust particles, and water droplets in the atmosphere, as well as absorption of light by gases and aerosols.

3. How does atmospheric extinction affect our ability to observe objects in space?

Atmospheric extinction can make it difficult to observe objects in space as it reduces the amount of light reaching Earth's surface. This can result in dimmer and less detailed images, especially for objects that are far away or faint.

4. Can atmospheric extinction be corrected for in scientific observations?

Yes, scientists use various techniques to correct for atmospheric extinction, such as using filters to block out certain wavelengths of light that are affected by extinction, or using mathematical models to account for the amount of extinction in their observations.

5. Is atmospheric extinction the same everywhere on Earth?

No, atmospheric extinction varies depending on factors such as altitude, weather conditions, and location. For example, high altitude locations tend to have less extinction as there is less atmosphere for the light to pass through, while locations with high levels of pollution may experience higher levels of extinction due to increased scattering and absorption of light.