(Lagrangian mechanics) Determining generalized coordinates/constraints.

In summary, the best way to determine the degrees of freedom in simple mechanical systems is to draw a diagram and use the rule of thumb of 1 degree of freedom per independent moving part. This applies even to connected parts, such as chains or rods. For constrained systems, such as a Thompson-Tait pendulum, the number of generalized coordinates may be less than the number of degrees of freedom.
Lavabug
Does anyone have any tips on how to properly determine the degrees of freedom in simple mechanical systems? I've done many problems but I often encounter a new one (or make one up myself) where I can't seem to get the proper number of generalized coordinates down right. Things like coupled beads on wires, hoops, thompson-tait pendulum...Done pretty much all the classic Lagrangian kinematics problems found in several textbooks but I know my prof is more creative than that. ;) I need something to hone my skills.

I often find 3-D problems easier than 2-D since you're given the holonomous constraints straight away(ie some relation between cylindrical coordinates or the equation of a paraboloid), so you know how many generalized coordinates you have via s = 3n -j, (n particles, j equations of constraint)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to determine the degrees of freedom is to draw a diagram of the system, and then use the Rule of thumb: 1 degree of freedom per independent moving part. In other words, for each part that can move independently of the other parts, you need one degree of freedom. This is even true for parts that are connected together, such as a chain or a rod. Even though those parts are connected, they still have the ability to move independently from one another.So if you have a system with two rods connected by a joint, that would result in three degrees of freedom (two for each rod, plus one for the joint).Once you have determined the number of degrees of freedom, you can then use this information to determine the number of generalized coordinates you need. Generally speaking, the number of generalized coordinates is equal to the number of degrees of freedom. However, if the system is constrained (such as a Thompson-Tait pendulum), the number of generalized coordinates may be less than the number of degrees of freedom. Hope this helps!

1. What is the concept of generalized coordinates in Lagrangian mechanics?

The concept of generalized coordinates in Lagrangian mechanics refers to a set of independent variables that describe the position and orientation of a system. These coordinates can be used to define the configuration space of a system, which is essential for solving the equations of motion using the Lagrangian method.

2. How do you determine the generalized coordinates for a system?

To determine the generalized coordinates for a system, you must first identify the degrees of freedom of the system, which are the independent parameters that define its motion. Then, you can choose a set of coordinates that uniquely describe the position and orientation of the system in terms of these degrees of freedom.

3. What are constraints in Lagrangian mechanics?

Constraints in Lagrangian mechanics refer to limitations on the motion of a system. These can be either holonomic constraints, which can be expressed as equations relating the generalized coordinates, or non-holonomic constraints, which cannot be expressed in this way.

4. How do you incorporate constraints into the equations of motion using Lagrangian mechanics?

To incorporate constraints into the equations of motion using Lagrangian mechanics, you can use the method of Lagrange multipliers. This involves adding additional terms to the Lagrangian function that account for the constraints and allow for their incorporation into the equations of motion.

5. Can Lagrangian mechanics be used for systems with a large number of degrees of freedom?

Yes, Lagrangian mechanics can be used for systems with a large number of degrees of freedom, as long as the equations of motion can be written in terms of the generalized coordinates. This method is particularly useful for complex systems, as it allows for a more efficient and elegant approach to solving the equations of motion compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics.