Electrical vs Chemical Engineering

In summary, the speaker is considering doing a minor in Computer Engineering and is trying to decide between majors in Electrical and Chemical Engineering. They mention that if they win a scholarship in Canada, they will have more time to decide, but if they stay in Colombia, they must make a decision by May. The speaker likes both majors, but is leaning towards Electrical because it aligns better with the minor in Computer Engineering. However, they also mention that Chemical Engineering offers opportunities for entrepreneurship, although there are some areas they do not enjoy. The speaker is seeking advice and it is suggested to look at MIT's OpenCourseWare for more information on Chemical Engineering. Ultimately, Electrical Engineering makes more sense given the minor in Computer Engineering and the overlap between the two
stonecoldgen
Recently, I decided that I am going to do a minor in Computer Engineering (whether it's at Canada or here in Colombia).

However, I haven't decided my major. If i win the scholarship in Canada, I would have 2 extra years to choose, but if I stay here in Colombia, I have to choose in May.

Electrical and Chemical are the 2 majors I am thinking about right now. I don't know which one pays better here in Colombia, and in Canada i wouldn't worry because both pay incredibly well.

I like more electrical in the sense that I like all the topics and because it might combine better with the minor in Computer Engineering.

On the other hand, Chemical lends itself more to create a business. I really like a lot the areas of chemical I like, maybe even more than what I like the areas in electrical. However, there are some areas of Chemical I don't like.

So what should I study? any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
go to mit ocw and look at some of the lecture notes and materials for ChE, you could easily waste a lot of time / effort taking some of those classes if you later decide that the program isn't right for you.

however, EE makes a lot more sense with the CoE minor, and those two departments really have a lot of overlap.

What is the main difference between Electrical and Chemical Engineering?

The main difference between Electrical and Chemical Engineering is the focus of study. Electrical Engineering deals with the generation, transmission, and utilization of electricity, while Chemical Engineering deals with the application of chemistry and physics principles to design, manufacture, and operate processes that change raw materials into useful products.

Which field has better job prospects, Electrical or Chemical Engineering?

Both Electrical and Chemical Engineering have good job prospects. However, the demand for Electrical Engineers is higher in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and electronics, while Chemical Engineers are in demand in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and oil and gas.

Which field requires more advanced education, Electrical or Chemical Engineering?

Both Electrical and Chemical Engineering require advanced education, typically a Bachelor's degree. However, Chemical Engineering may require a Master's or PhD for more specialized roles, while a Bachelor's degree is sufficient for most entry-level Electrical Engineering positions.

What skills are necessary for a successful career in Electrical or Chemical Engineering?

Some essential skills for a successful career in Electrical Engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong technical knowledge. For Chemical Engineering, skills such as strong foundation in chemistry and math, analytical thinking, and communication skills are important.

Are there any similarities between Electrical and Chemical Engineering?

Yes, there are some similarities between the two fields. Both require a strong foundation in math and science, involve problem-solving and critical thinking, and often require working in teams. Additionally, both fields involve the use of various software and technology in their work.