Help to make a Unit Hydrograph of Reservoir Level - Storage Curve for a Dam

In summary: Chadwick & Morfett textbook? They discuss a tabular and finite difference method for creating a unit hydrograph using flood data as input. Other texts also mention this method in the context of flood routing. Hope this helps! In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a unit hydrograph for a dam using flood data as input. The Chadwick & Morfett textbook provides details on a tabular and finite difference method for this purpose, which is also mentioned in other texts. The individual seeking help has already tested and determined the best fit distributions for the data and is now looking for guidance on how to apply them
af_231
Hello!
I'm just asking for a clue on how to make a unit hydrograph Reservoir Level - Storage Curve for a Dam. I have been searching information on internet, but I could not find anything about that. I would appreciate any idea or suggestion.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chadwick & Morfett

page 317 under 'flood routing'
and p318 'reservoir routing'

gives details of a tabular and finite difference method.

Other texts also discuss this under flood routing.

go well

Thanks Studiot!

Studiot!... I am sorry to bother you, but maybe you can help me giving me some idea!
I collected hydrological observations from a reservoir (three days average flow rates). These annual three day average flow rate were subject to a goodness of fit test; the results showed that Gumbel, LogNormal and LogPearson Type III distributions ave better fit than the other candidate distributions. Then the three distributions are used to generate the various return periods flood and then be converted into hydrograph for the reservoir routing.

But my question is... Do you know how to make a unit hydrograph with flood data as input?
I know how to make it with rainfall as input data; and I have been searching on internet and books but I could not find a procedure where the flood is the input data.
I would appreciate any idea or information.
Thanks!

*have

1. What is a unit hydrograph?

A unit hydrograph is a graphical representation of the direct relationship between rainfall and runoff in a specific watershed. It shows the amount of water that will flow out of a watershed for a given amount of rainfall or snowmelt.

2. How is a unit hydrograph useful for a dam?

A unit hydrograph is useful for a dam because it allows engineers to predict the amount of water that will enter the reservoir based on the amount of rainfall or snowmelt. This information is important for managing the water levels in the reservoir and determining the dam's capacity.

3. What is a reservoir level-storage curve?

A reservoir level-storage curve is a graph that shows the relationship between the water level in a dam's reservoir and the amount of water stored in the reservoir. It is an important tool for understanding the capacity of the dam and managing the water supply.

4. How do you create a unit hydrograph for a reservoir?

To create a unit hydrograph for a reservoir, you will need to collect data on rainfall and runoff in the watershed over a period of time. This data can then be used to create a curve that shows the relationship between rainfall and runoff. The curve can then be adjusted to account for the specific characteristics of the watershed and the dam.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of a unit hydrograph for a reservoir?

The accuracy of a unit hydrograph for a reservoir can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size and shape of the watershed, the type of soil and vegetation in the watershed, and the amount of development and human activity in the area. It is important to carefully consider these factors when creating a unit hydrograph to ensure the most accurate results.