Complex representation of electric field

In summary: Ex^2+Ey^2}In summary, the electric field is a complex number and its magnitude is given by the peak component strength. The vector-length magnitude of the electric field is the instantaneous total strength.
Apteronotus
Confused.. please help!

Often when an electric field varies sinusoidally with time, it is represented as a complex number. Say,
[itex]\vec{E}(t)=A\cos(t) \cdot \hat{k}[/itex]
We know at any time, the magnitude of E is [itex]A\cos(t)[/itex].

Alternatively the same vector E is understood to be the real part of the complex number
[itex]\vec{E}(t)=A e^{i t}\cdot\hat{k}[/itex] (right?)

But since we are now dealing with a complex vector, its magnitude is given by:
[itex]||\vec{E}||=\sqrt{Ae^{it}\cdot Ae^{-it}}=A[/itex]

What happened? How can we ensure the magnitude of our vector is preserved when we represent it in its complex form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you have to take the real part first and then square the electric field. Then you'll get the same magnitude as it must be. Just use

[tex]\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t)=\cos(\omega t)-\mathrm{i} \sin(\omega t).[/tex]

If [itex]\omega \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], which is the case for em. waves in free space, the real part simply [itex]\cos(\omega t)[/itex].

I'm sorry vanhees, I'm not sure if I completely understand
Even if we use [itex]e^{it}=\cos(t)+i\sin(t)[/itex]
then
[itex]\sqrt{Ae^{it}\cdot Ae^{-it}}=\sqrt{A^2(\cos(t)+i\sin(t))(\cos(t)-i\sin(t))}=A\sqrt{\cos^2(t)+\sin^2(t)}=A
[/itex]

OR

Do you mean
[itex]
||\vec{E}||=||Ae^{it}||=||Re(Ae^{it})||
[/itex]?

Can anyone help me out on this?

Again: If you want to calculate quantities, which do not depend linearly on the fields you have to take first the real part and then go on.

Take your example (corrected for obvious errors concerning the argument of the exponential function) of a plane electromagnetic wave in free space,

[tex]\vec{E}'(t,\vec{x})=\vec{E}_0 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t+\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})[/tex]

with [itex]\omega=c |\vec{k}|[/itex].

Of course the physical electromagnetic field here is

[tex]\vec{E}=\mathrm{Re} \vec{E}'=\mathrm{Re} \vec{E}_0 \cos (\omega t-\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})+\mathrm{Im} \vec{E}_0 \sin(\omega t-\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}).[/tex]

Now you can use this expression to evaluate, e.g., the electric part of the energy density, i.e., [itex]\vec{E}^2/2[/itex], etc.

Hi vanhees

I keep reading your reply over and over again hoping to understand this problem better, but my uneducated mind is just not getting it.

Is it true that
[itex]||\vec{E}||=||Ae^{it}||=||Re(Ae^{it})||[/itex]

Apteronotus, you are confusing two very different things: the magnitude of a complex number (which is the length of the number's vector in the complex plane), and the magnitude of a vector (which is the length of the actual vector in real space).

The electric field is both a complex number and a vector, so you have to specify which magnitude you mean. The complex-number magnitude of the electric field is the peak component strength, whereas the vector-length magnitude of the electric field is the instantaneous total strength. If you take both the complex-number magnitude and the vector-length magnitude of the electric field, you end up with the peak total strength. For instance:

If E = (Ex [itex]\hat{\textbf{x}}[/itex] + Ey [itex]\hat{\textbf{y}}[/itex])eikz-iωt

then

|E|complex-number = Ex [itex]\hat{\textbf{x}}[/itex] + Ey [itex]\hat{\textbf{y}}[/itex]
|E|vector-length = [itex]\sqrt{(E_x^2 + E_y^2)cos^2(kz-\omega t)}[/itex]
|E|both = [itex]\sqrt{E_x^2 + E_y^2}[/itex]

1. What is a complex representation of electric field?

A complex representation of electric field is an advanced mathematical approach used to describe the properties and behavior of electric fields. It involves representing the electric field as a complex number, which includes both a real and an imaginary component.

2. How is complex representation of electric field different from other methods?

Unlike other methods, such as vector representation, complex representation takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a given point. It also allows for a more accurate description of the phase and amplitude of the electric field.

3. What are the advantages of using complex representation of electric field?

Complex representation allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the electric field, especially in situations where the field is constantly changing or is non-uniform. It also simplifies the calculations and equations used to analyze electric fields.

4. Can complex representation be used for all types of electric fields?

Yes, complex representation can be used for all types of electric fields, including alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC) fields. It is particularly useful for AC fields, which are constantly changing in magnitude and direction.

5. How is complex representation of electric field applied in practical situations?

Complex representation is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, as well as in electromagnetic wave propagation and antenna design. It is also used in fields such as optics, where electric fields play a crucial role in the behavior of light.