What Are the Best Approximations for Small Oscillations in Classical Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of approximations in classical mechanics, specifically the "small angles" or "small oscillations" approximation. This approximation involves simplifying equations by discarding higher-order terms and only keeping terms of degree 0 and 1. The experts suggest that it is best to keep as many terms as possible, but sometimes it is necessary to solve the equation numerically. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the validity of the solution and using a Taylor expansion to simplify the potential function.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm not sure where to post this question. In classical mechanics many problems are simplified in the approximation of "small angles" or "small oscillations".
Wikipedia gives the following criteria or approximations:
[itex]\sin \theta \approx \theta[/itex].
[itex]\cos \theta \approx 1 - \frac{\theta ^2}{2}[/itex]
[itex]\tan \theta \approx \theta[/itex].
But in some books I find the relation:
[itex]\cos \theta \approx 1[/itex].
In other words they discard any terms of second degree and higher, keeping terms of degree 0 and 1 only.
Now when I tackle a problem of small oscillations I do not know what criteria to use. Of course keeping terms of second order gives a more accurate result... but I am not sure this is the standard.
What is your experience with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You normally keep as many terms as you can (unless you are doing a "back of the envelope calculation", that is), but if you try to keep higher-order terms you usually end up with an equation you can not solve analytically.
On the other hand you might also miss something if you throw away terms that are actually important. This is something you'll learn from experience and there are no exact rules.

That said, if I am even a little bit unsure I always make sure that my solution is valid (="good enough")in the region I am interested in but solving the full equation numerically.

f95toli said:
You normally keep as many terms as you can (unless you are doing a "back of the envelope calculation", that is), but if you try to keep higher-order terms you usually end up with an equation you can not solve analytically.
On the other hand you might also miss something if you throw away terms that are actually important. This is something you'll learn from experience and there are no exact rules.

That said, if I am even a little bit unsure I always make sure that my solution is valid (="good enough")in the region I am interested in but solving the full equation numerically.
I see, thanks a lot. Tomorrow I have an exam of classical mechanics. If I have to make such approximation I'll consider the more accurate first and if I see the equation of motions are way too complicated I'm going to try with the lesser accurate albeit easier to solve analytically expression.

More specfically, the "small oscillations approximation" usually refers to the fact when most oscillations are small enough, the oscillation becomes harmonic, and the mathematics of harmonic oscillations is well-developed and very robust. So, for any particular problem, the "small oscillations approximation" would be to make whatever expansion and throw away whatever terms are necessary to end up with simple harmonic motion.

chrisbaird said:
More specfically, the "small oscillations approximation" usually refers to the fact when most oscillations are small enough, the oscillation becomes harmonic, and the mathematics of harmonic oscillations is well-developed and very robust. So, for any particular problem, the "small oscillations approximation" would be to make whatever expansion and throw away whatever terms are necessary to end up with simple harmonic motion.

Yes. Usually if I have a complicated potential and I want to use the approximation for small oscillations, I approximate it via a Taylor expansion of order 2 and then the Lagrangian of the system is simple enough to be solved in the same way than any harmonic problem.
However sometimes getting the correct (non approximated) expression for V, the potential function, is quite complicated and using the relations I wrote in the first post of this thread can simplify the problem from start. So that I'd get the approximated potential function V without passing from the true potential. My main problem is that I wasn't sure what approximation to make for small angles. But since I'm usually/always taking a second order Taylor expansion of the potential, I think it's extremely important to keep the [itex]\frac{\theta ^2 }{2}[/itex] term of [itex]\cos \theta[/itex].

1. What are small oscillations?

Small oscillations refer to the repetitive back-and-forth movements or vibrations of a physical system around its equilibrium position. These oscillations are considered small when they do not deviate significantly from the equilibrium position.

2. What are the criteria for small oscillations?

The criteria for small oscillations include: the system must have a stable equilibrium point, the restoring force must be directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position, and the motion must be linear. Additionally, the amplitude of the oscillations must be small compared to the size of the system.

3. How are small oscillations different from large oscillations?

Small oscillations are characterized by small amplitudes and a linear restoring force, while large oscillations have larger amplitudes and a nonlinear restoring force. Small oscillations also occur around a stable equilibrium point, while large oscillations can occur around any point in the system.

4. What is the significance of small oscillations in physics?

Small oscillations are important in physics because they allow us to simplify complex systems and analyze their behavior. By assuming small oscillations, we can use mathematical tools such as differential equations to model the system and make predictions about its motion.

5. How are small oscillations related to simple harmonic motion?

Small oscillations are a type of simple harmonic motion, where the force acting on the system is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. Simple harmonic motion occurs when a system is subject to a restoring force and is one of the most fundamental types of motion in physics.