Separation of variables - Laplace's Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses using separation of variables to find the solution to Laplace's equation with given boundary conditions. The attempted solution includes deriving two ODEs and exploring different cases for the separation constant λ. It is found that for λ<0, there are no solutions, and for λ>0, there are solutions involving regular trig or hyperbolic functions. However, there are still unknowns that make it difficult to solve the equation. The conversation also mentions potential errors in the equations and difficulties in satisfying the boundary conditions.
hermish

Homework Statement

Use separation of variables to find the solution to Laplaces equation satisfying the boundary conditions

u(x,0)=0 (0<x<2)
u(x,1)=0 (0<x<2)
u(0,y)=0 (0<y<1)
u(2,y)= asin2πy(0<y<1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to perform the separation of variables technique on the wave equation. The heat equation is a little harder, I struggle a bit, but eventually I get there. Laplace's equation is pretty much impossible. From my understanding, the method is very similar in all three cases, but I think there are some differences which I don't see, which is why I can't do this question.

So I managed to separate the variables, deriving two ODE's, one in terms of x and one in terms of y, with the separation constant λ.

F''(x) - λF(x) = 0
G''(x) - λG(x) = 0

For the case where λ=0, there are no solutions because nothing can satisfy the last boundary condition listed.

For the case where λ<0, I think there are no solutions, I could sort of tell by having a look at the final answer given. I don't understand how to show this?

For the case where λ>0
I get F(x) = A*cosh(sigma*x) + B*sinh(sigma*y)
G(y) = (Ccos(sigma*y) + Dsin(sigma*y))

where sigma is the roots of the ODE's.

so now u(x,t) = F(x)*G(y)
I have this function with 5 unknowns, A,B,C,D, and sigma
When I apply all the boundary conditions, I don't really get anywhere. No helpful information appears.

What am I doing wrong? Or, what am I not doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a sign error in one of your ODEs. Also, one of them should have ys in it. It looks like what you meant to write was:
\begin{align*}
F''(x) - \lambda F(x) &= 0 \\
G''(y) + \lambda G(y) &= 0
\end{align*} Depending on the sign of ##\lambda##, you get regular trig functions for one solution and hyperbolic functions for the other.

To see why you can't have ##\lambda<0##, try to satisfy the boundary conditions when you have ##G(y) = C\sinh \sigma y + D\cosh \sigma y##. To satisfy the first two boundary conditions, you need G(0)=0 and G(1)=0. You should find the only way you can do this is if C=D=0, which isn't a useful solution.

If ##\lambda>0##, you have ##G(y) = C\sin \sigma y + D\cos \sigma y##. What do you get from the first two boundary conditions in this case?

1. What is separation of variables and how does it relate to Laplace's Equation?

Separation of variables is a mathematical method used to solve partial differential equations, including Laplace's Equation. It involves breaking down a complex function into simpler functions that can be solved individually. In the case of Laplace's Equation, this means separating the variables of the equation (usually x, y, and z) to solve for each one separately.

2. Why is Laplace's Equation important in the field of physics and engineering?

Laplace's Equation is a fundamental equation in physics and engineering, as it is used to describe many physical phenomena, such as heat flow, fluid dynamics, and electrostatics. It is also a key component in the study of potential theory and has applications in various practical fields, including the design of electronic circuits and the modeling of fluid flow in pipes.

3. Can Laplace's Equation be solved analytically?

Yes, Laplace's Equation can be solved analytically using separation of variables. This allows for the exact solution to be found, rather than approximations or numerical solutions. However, in some cases, the analytical solution may be complex and difficult to obtain.

4. What are the boundary conditions for solving Laplace's Equation?

In order to solve Laplace's Equation, boundary conditions must be specified. These conditions define the values of the function at the boundaries of the domain, and can be in the form of Dirichlet boundary conditions (specifying a fixed value) or Neumann boundary conditions (specifying the derivative of the function at the boundary). Without these conditions, the solution to Laplace's Equation is not unique.

5. How is Laplace's Equation used in real-world applications?

Laplace's Equation has many practical applications in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and potential fields. It is also used in the design of electronic circuits, the study of electrostatics, and the analysis of boundary value problems. Additionally, it has applications in image and signal processing, as well as in financial mathematics.