Explaining the Mathematical Reasoning of Finding Image in Convex Mirrors

In summary, Simon was trying to explain why the equation for finding the description of image in a convex mirror is different from the equation for finding the description of image in a concave mirror and he said that it might be because the distances to the image are supposed to be positive in the case of concave mirrors, but they are supposed to be negative in the case of convex mirrors. He also mentioned that the convention for doing problems in ray optics is that numbers are always supposed to be positive, but that there are some exceptions to this.
Ezio3.1415
I am having a problem understanding the mathematical reasoning of finding the description of image in convex mirror...

We know the relation,
1/v + 1/u =1/f
is true for all mirrors... we can prove this for both concave and convex mirrors... In case of convex mirrors we use the conventional + and - to get to this general form(I guess real positive system)...
But when they used that formula to find out the position of image they again said for concave mirrors f is minus... I don't understand this point... We derived this formula saying r is minus for concave mirrors... Now what is left is the value... But again why are we saying this is minus?
I tried solving without taking it to be minus but that leads to false answer... Why? Please explain...

Physics news on Phys.org
an artificial explanation which I have heard 4 years ago was that distances should be positive.so taking - and then - again makes it positive.

Yeah - it's just a convention so most of the tricky values get to be positive.
I think it also makes imaginary images at a negative distance.

If you like you can try to keep the derivation convention for doing problems. It doesn't matter as long as you are consistent. Personally I could never remember it and just did the geometry off ray diagrams.

Thank you Andrien... This could be the explanation I guess... :)

Simon, the book contains both ray diagram and the equations... And I like solving using the equation... Who wants to draw all that stuff? :D

Ezio3.1415 said:
Simon, the book contains both ray diagram and the equations... And I like solving using the equation... Who wants to draw all that stuff? :D
Anyone who wants to understand ray optics.

Totally agree with S Bridge. I love drawing the diagrams, they show you what happens to the light in one view.
The equations are good if you need exact answers...usually you cannot draw the diagrams accurate enough (I find) to get exact answers.

You can use the sketched ray-diagrams to get the geometry, from the geometry you get the exact equation you need - it's all just triangles ... then the standard equation doesn't matter.

The only trouble comes when someone specifically wants to test your knowledge of the lens-maker's formula rather than your ability to do optics. Even so - a sketched diagram takes a few seconds and can tell you quickly if you have the sign convention backwards (and other reality checking functions ...) AND gets you more marks in long answers.

I was talking about the problems from the book... It wants numbers as an answer... I can quickly calculate using the equation... I meant to say who would want draw these for the problems?

Ezio3.1415 said:
I was talking about the problems from the book... It wants numbers as an answer... I can quickly calculate using the equation... I meant to say who would want draw these for the problems?
1. the book is probably testing your knowledge of the equation - which will be why using the equation to answer the book questions is straight forward (except your question here suggests otherwise); 2. you should still sketch the diagrams because; (a) they help you check your working, and (b) the purpose of doing the exercises is to improve your knowledge of ray optics - the ray diagrams will do that better than rote use of the formula - which is an approximation anyway.

Therefore my original answer still stands: "Anyone who wants to understand ray optics."

If you just want to know how to do a subset of ray-optics problems, then you are going the right way about it though :) You don't have to understand every subject you do - it is not mandatory. But you did ask the question.

Yeah the ray diagrams can help to see whether my solution is correct... Though I only draw it while solving the hardest problems... For the easy ones,I think I can draw it inside my head to check the signs...
Thank u for the answer... :)

And another thing,for reflection of light I know only 4 special rays... Is it enough? If not,please give a link...

1. What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a spherical mirror with its reflecting surface curved outwards. It is also known as a diverging mirror because it spreads out the reflected light rays.

2. How does a convex mirror form an image?

A convex mirror forms an image by reflecting light rays from an object in a way that they appear to come from a virtual image point behind the mirror. This image point is always smaller than the object and is located between the object and the mirror.

3. What is the mathematical reasoning behind finding the image in a convex mirror?

The mathematical reasoning behind finding the image in a convex mirror involves understanding the properties of convex mirrors, such as the fact that the reflected rays diverge away from each other and the relationship between the image distance and object distance.

4. How do you calculate the image distance in a convex mirror?

The image distance in a convex mirror can be calculated using the formula: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the mirror, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. This formula is derived from the properties of convex mirrors and the law of reflection.

5. What are some real-life applications of convex mirrors?

Convex mirrors have various real-life applications, such as in security and surveillance systems, as they provide a wide field of view. They are also used as rear-view mirrors in vehicles to help drivers see objects and vehicles behind them. Additionally, they are used in makeup mirrors and in traffic mirrors to increase visibility at intersections.