Differential equation of a circle

In summary, the equation of a circle with radius 'a' and centre (h,b) can be expressed in terms of differential equations as a = {[1 + (dy/dx)^2]^(3/2)}/(d^2y/dx^2). This equation implies that 'a' is a constant, and it represents the local radius of curvature of an arbitrary curve in the x-y plane. This can be inferred from the definition of curvature or its inverse, the radius of curvature.
iVenky
Consider a circle of radius 'a' and centre (h,b)

then the equation of the circle is given by (x-h)2 + (y-b)2 = a2

I expressed this in terms of differential equations which is -

a= {[1+(dy/dx)2]3/2}/{d2y/dx2}
According to my book - this equation indicates that 'a' is a constant. How can you infer from this equation that 'a' is a constant? (Note: I know that 'a' is a constant but I can't understand how you can infer that from this differential equation).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One more doubt- I tried using Latex for representing that diff equation as one divided by the other but it seems to be working only for numbers and not for differentiation

iVenky said:

a= {[1-(dy/dx)2]3/2}/{d2y/dx2}
According to my book - this equation indicates that 'a' is a constant. How can you infer from this equation that 'a' is a constant? (Note: I know that 'a' is a constant but I can't understand how you can infer that from this differential equation).
I think that should be +, not -.
The equation cannot imply that the radius, a, is a constant. In general, it could be a function of x and or y.

Ya it is +. You are sure that this equation can't imply that it is a constant only?

iVenky said:

a= {[1+(dy/dx)2]3/2}/{d2y/dx2}

Thanks in advance.

The right hand side of this equation is the relationship for the local radius of curvature of an arbitrary curve within the x-y plane. Do you know the definition of the curvature or its inverse, the radius of curvature?

1. What is a differential equation of a circle?

A differential equation of a circle is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the coordinates of a circle and its derivatives. It is used to model the behavior of a circle in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a differential equation of a circle different from a regular equation of a circle?

A regular equation of a circle is a geometric representation of a circle using its radius and center coordinates. On the other hand, a differential equation of a circle involves the derivatives of its coordinates, which describe the rate of change of the circle's position and shape.

3. What are the applications of differential equations of a circle?

Differential equations of a circle are used to model various phenomena in many fields, including celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electrical engineering. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and animations.

4. How are differential equations of a circle solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations of a circle, including separation of variables, substitution, and power series. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

5. Are differential equations of a circle only applicable to perfect circles?

No, differential equations of a circle can be used to model any circular shape, regardless of its imperfections. They can also be used to approximate non-circular shapes, such as ellipses, by adjusting the parameters in the equation.