Cauchy's homogeneous diff eqn

In summary, the Cauchy homogeneous linear differential equation is a differential equation with a polynomial expression on the left side and a function of x on the right side. It is not considered homogeneous unless the right side is equal to 0. However, even if the right side is a constant, the equation is still not considered homogeneous.
iVenky
The Cauchy homogeneous linear differential equation is given by

[itex]x^{n}\frac{d^{n}y}{dx^{n}} +k_{1} x^{n-1}\frac{d^{n-1}y}{dx^{n-1}} +...+k_{n}y=X [/itex]where X is a function of x and [itex] k_{1},k_{2}...,k_{n}[/itex] are constants.

I thought for this equation to be homogeneous the right side should be 0. (i.e.) X=0.
But if X is a function of x then how can this be homogeneous?

Thanks a lot :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't. Why do you call it "homogeneous"?

(Googling "Cauchy's homogeneous equation", I found a "youtube" tape calling this equation "homogeneous"- its just wrong! I suspect they started talking about a homogeneous equation and did not change the title when they generalized).

Last edited by a moderator:
Let y(x) = Y(x)+(X/kn) and the rigth side will be 0.

JJacquelin said:
Let y(x) = Y(x)+(X/kn) and the rigth side will be 0.

If I do things like that, I can make any equation homogeneous.

Don't forget that X is a function of 'x'.

You are assuming that X is a constant, aren't you?

Sorry, I was assuming that X was constant.
So, my answer is out of subject.

I have chosen that X to be a function of 'x' and it is not a constant

So I think it is not homogeneous.

For the record even if X is a constant it is still not homogeneous, isn't it?

thanks a lot :)

iVenky said:
I have chosen that X to be a function of 'x' and it is not a constant

So I think it is not homogeneous.

For the record even if X is a constant it is still not homogeneous, isn't it?

thanks a lot :)
Yes, that is correct.

1. What is Cauchy's homogeneous differential equation?

Cauchy's homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation that describes a relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is called "homogeneous" because all of the terms in the equation have the same degree.

2. How do you solve Cauchy's homogeneous differential equation?

To solve Cauchy's homogeneous differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables or substitution. In some cases, it can also be solved by using an integrating factor or by transforming it into a linear equation.

3. What is the significance of Cauchy's homogeneous differential equation?

Cauchy's homogeneous differential equation has many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. It is commonly used to model natural phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions.

4. Can Cauchy's homogeneous differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, Cauchy's homogeneous differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because it is a second-order differential equation, meaning it contains two arbitrary constants that can result in different solutions depending on their values.

5. How is Cauchy's homogeneous differential equation related to Cauchy's equation of motion?

Cauchy's equation of motion is a specific type of Cauchy's homogeneous differential equation that describes the motion of a particle in a conservative force field. It is often used in classical mechanics to study the motion of objects under the influence of gravity or other forces.