Cramming: Does It Help? | Real Experiences

• Thread starter limitkiller
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of cramming for exams and whether it leads to better grades. Some individuals have had success with cramming, while others argue that it does not promote true understanding and can negatively affect long term memory. There is also a mention of one person who consistently gets good grades without studying much, possibly due to a relaxed attitude. The group also discusses the design of exams and whether they should focus on real understanding rather than just memorization.
limitkiller
hi everyone

the thing is I crammed through school and usually got average grades.

I always thought if I studied weeks before exams I would get better grades but as it turns out it is not the case.

anyone with similar experience?cramming killed my long term memory or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cramming is not conducive to learning and understanding. It might get one by on one test, but if one does not learn the material, one will not advance much beyond the test or course.

But cramming seems to result in better grades for me.Is it because I am used to it or its like this for everyone?
(I am talking only about grades)

It could be you are working on more difficult material and it's just harder.

I can't really see how not cramming is worsening your exam scores.

One of my friends kinda crams before his exams...

Well its more like this, he doesn't study until pretty much a few days before the exam. When he finally does study its more like a quick read through the material rather than a madd all nighter with 10 cups of coffee and some motivational youtube videos on a constant replay. He still manages to get marks above average somehow... I think its because he's got a relaxed "yolo" attitude.

Jorriss said:
It could be you are working on more difficult material and it's just harder.

no its not that.I still get average grades when I cram.

studying before math related exams seems to help a little but otherwise it doesn't help.Its like the answers are on tip of my tongue...

It's like there is that sense of urgency that appears when you cram. Imagine if that same sense of urgency was present weeks in advanced, then you can sleep easy the night before the exam

Tommy1995 said:

Well its more like this, he doesn't study until pretty much a few days before the exam. When he finally does study its more like a quick read through the material rather than a madd all nighter with 10 cups of coffee and some motivational youtube videos on a constant replay. He still manages to get marks above average somehow...

that's kinda like me(except for yolo part) .
if possible please ask him if he ever tried preparing properly for an exam?

Woopydalan said:
It's like there is that sense of urgency that appears when you cram. Imagine if that same sense of urgency was present weeks in advanced, then you can sleep easy the night before the exam

I usually sleep the night before the exam(when I don't I get really bad results)

I don't really have to study for exams. I do review before but I do enough practice consistently to not have to cram.

limitkiller said:
that's kinda like me(except for yolo part) .
if possible please ask him if he ever tried preparing properly for an exam?

LOL he's never properly prepared for an exam in his life haha

Then you can give him the bad news.he won't do better even if he did prepare.

Tommy1995 said:

Well its more like this, he doesn't study until pretty much a few days before the exam. When he finally does study its more like a quick read through the material rather than a madd all nighter with 10 cups of coffee and some motivational youtube videos on a constant replay. He still manages to get marks above average somehow... I think its because he's got a relaxed "yolo" attitude.

This sound like me as well. I don't really study a lot. I also don't do all night studying like some people.

I think that exams that allows people to cram are badly constructed exams. Exams should test real understanding.

The best way for me is to keep a good pace trough the term then at the end do a really intense review session for a few days/ weeks.

I'd say that most students just cram for an exam, and in most cases it works out fine. Of course, this forum is hardly representative of most students.

micromass said:
I think that exams that allows people to cram are badly constructed exams. Exams should test real understanding.

Meanwhile in the real world...

Depends on the material imo. If you're cramming for a history exam, sure, just pure information. Cramming for a calculus exam I wouldn't think would work as well.

1. Does cramming actually help with learning and retaining information?

It depends on the individual and the subject matter. While cramming may help with short-term memorization, it is not an effective long-term learning strategy. It can also lead to a lack of understanding and retention of the material.

2. How does cramming affect academic performance?

Cramming can lead to increased stress and anxiety, which can negatively impact academic performance. It also does not allow for a deep understanding of the material, which can affect performance on exams and assignments.

3. Is cramming better than studying in smaller increments?

No, studying in smaller increments over a longer period of time is a more effective learning strategy. It allows for better understanding and retention of the material.

4. Can cramming be helpful in certain situations?

In some cases, cramming may be necessary due to time constraints or unexpected circumstances. However, it should not be relied on as a regular study method.

5. Are there any techniques to make cramming more effective?

If cramming is the only option, there are some techniques that can make it more effective. These include creating a study schedule, taking breaks, and focusing on key concepts rather than trying to memorize everything.