Lorentz transformation, mistake but right formula (for light) ?

In summary, Frederik says that the ratio of the distances traveled by a light wave with a Doppler effect in a second system and the same light wave at the same time in the first system is the same ratio as the ratio of the corresponding times in the second system.
digi99
I was thinking when I take the Lorentz formula for a location γ.(x – v.t) as an observer in S and find the ratio compared with the location for an observer within the inertial system S’ it selves: 1/γ . Δx

But I made a mistake and took 1/γ. x

When I use the found ratio (for derivation, see attachment) for the time as an observer within the inertial system it selves: 1/γ. t, I find the Lorentz formula for time as an observer in S, but only for light x=c.t

Why is this accidently right ?

Attachments

• lorentz_mistake.jpg
    lorentz_mistake.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm fascinated by the fact that not a single word you wrote is even close to legible. I can't even guess what any of them are. I'm not sure I recognize a single letter (in the comments to the calculation). One of them looks like a g, but I have no idea what most of them are.

Please start using LaTeX so that you no longer have a reason to post hand-written stuff. Link to FAQ post. If you're going to post hand-written stuff, at least clean it up so that it's possible to read it.

I can read the symbols in the calculation, but I still don't understand what you're asking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer Frederik, I go to rewrite this, I did it in a hurry late and of course I was thinking today between in, what I am writing and I confess it is not clear :) ...

During rewriting and I did with itex, I saw the problem and don't want to spend to much time to it.

If I could delete this topic, I did (too late).

Ok, this was just found in my expressions:

You have a inertial system S1 with a lightwave 1 emitted, a system S2 where you see this light wave with Doppler effect and a second light wave 2 emitted.

The ratio traveling distance lightwave with Doppler effect in S2, and traveling distance lightwave 2, at the same time in S1, is the same ratio as for the related times in S2 for both lightwaves.
So nothing special to report/ask, but took a long time to analyse this ... I thought it was a mistake, but it was not ...

Last edited:

1. What is the Lorentz transformation formula for light?

The Lorentz transformation formula for light is a mathematical equation that describes how measurements of space and time change when viewed from different frames of reference. It is often written as x' = (x - vt) / sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2), where x represents the distance in space, t represents time, v represents the relative velocity between the two frames of reference, and c is the speed of light.

2. What is the mistake in the Lorentz transformation formula?

The mistake in the Lorentz transformation formula is that it does not take into account the effects of gravity and acceleration. This is because the formula was originally developed for objects moving at constant velocities, and does not account for the curvature of spacetime caused by gravity.

3. Why is the Lorentz transformation formula still considered "right" for light?

Despite the mistake in the formula, it is still considered "right" for light because it accurately describes the behavior of light in the absence of gravity and acceleration. In other words, it is a very good approximation for light in most situations and is still widely used in many scientific calculations and theories.

4. Can the Lorentz transformation formula be used for objects other than light?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation formula can be used for any object that is moving at or near the speed of light. However, as mentioned before, it does not account for the effects of gravity and acceleration, so it may not be accurate for objects that are experiencing these forces.

5. How does the Lorentz transformation formula relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The Lorentz transformation formula is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity. It is used to describe how measurements of space and time change when viewed from different frames of reference, which is a fundamental principle of relativity. By incorporating this formula, Einstein was able to develop a revolutionary new understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of space and time.