> Why Change Of Magnetic Flux Induces Current In It?

In summary, changing magnetic flux with time through a coil induces current in it, while a constant magnetic flux does not. This is a fundamental law in classical electrodynamics and is a result of the link between electric and magnetic fields. Special relativity also plays a role in explaining the origin of this phenomenon. It is recommended to refer to a textbook like "Principles of Electrodynamics" for a deeper understanding of this concept.
Ankit
Why change of magnetic flux with the time through a coil induces current in it?
Please tell me that what happen to charge in the coil if the magnet or electromagnet wave around this? Also, why a constant magnetic flux does not induces current?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a pretty involved question that doesn't have a simple answer. What do you know about it currently? What's your level of education in the subject?

Drakkith said:
This is a pretty involved question that doesn't have a simple answer. What do you know about it currently? What's your level of education in the subject?

I am the beginner in magnetism but intermediate in electricity.

As far as classical electrodynamics goes ( I don't know if more advanced theories of physics shed more light on this question ) this is one of maxwell's four fundamental postulates ( or equations ) of electrodynamics. So within the framework of the classical theory, this is simply how it works. It's a fundamental law and is just so. Electric and magnetic fields are just linked in this fundamental way. Incidentally, a time varying electric flux through a coil will also induce a circumferential magnetic field and this law displays a compelling symmetry with the other one.
It's kind of like asking why there exists a force of attraction between two opposite charges. You took that for granted didn't you ?

It's a consequence of special relativity (SR) so, contrary to siddharth5129's statements, classical physics can perfectly well explain its origin. However if you don't know SR then I'm not sure how effectively one could explain it to you. In any event I would recommend taking a look at chapter 3 of Schwartz "Principles of Electrodynamics".

oh. I'm sorry. My bad then.

1. What is magnetic flux and how is it related to current?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic field passing through a given area. When there is a change in the magnetic flux, it induces an electric field, which in turn creates a current in a conductor.

2. How does a change in magnetic flux induce current?

According to Faraday's Law of Induction, when there is a change in magnetic flux passing through a conductor, it creates an electric field which causes electrons to move, thus creating a current in the conductor.

3. What factors affect the amount of current induced by a change in magnetic flux?

The amount of current induced depends on the rate of change of magnetic flux, the number of turns in the conductor, and the strength of the magnetic field. Additionally, the resistance of the conductor and the inductance of the circuit can also affect the amount of current induced.

4. Can a change in magnetic flux induce current in any material?

Yes, a change in magnetic flux can induce current in any material, as long as it is a conductor. This includes metals, as well as other materials such as water or the human body, which may conduct electricity.

5. How is the direction of induced current determined by the change in magnetic flux?

The direction of the induced current is determined by Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux that created it. This is known as the "right-hand rule", where the thumb points in the direction of the change in magnetic flux and the fingers curl in the direction of the induced current.