Lorentz Violation: Implications for Extra Dimensions & Quantum Theory

• Thread starter Gravito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lorentz
In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of experiments showing a break in Lorentz violation and explores the possibility of large loops and extra dimensions playing a role in this violation. The speaker also mentions the potential involvement of a quantum correction mechanism.
Gravito
If experiments shows to break the Lorentz violation, what would be the main implication of such findings?

Could our spatial ordinary dimensions be very large loops but with different radius hence the preferred direction in space?
Is those hypoteticly Planck-sized extra dimensions perhaps aligned against our spatial dimensions through the Calabi-Yau shape and have some kind of Planck-physics particles that affects and regulates certain properties of the spatial dimension thus violate the symmetry in any of our 3 spatial dimensions.

My low knowledge on Quantum Theory allows me to play with my imagination like i did above.

I have heard of some kind of quantum correction mechanism that could be involved but i can't find any good information on this.

Regards
Gravito

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravito said:
If experiments shows to break the Lorentz violation, what would be the main implication of such findings?

Could our spatial ordinary dimensions be very large loops but with different radius hence the preferred direction in space?
Is those hypoteticly Planck-sized extra dimensions perhaps aligned against our spatial dimensions through the Calabi-Yau shape and have some kind of Planck-physics particles that affects and regulates certain properties of the spatial dimension thus violate the symmetry in any of our 3 spatial dimensions.

My low knowledge on Quantum Theory allows me to play with my imagination like i did above.

I have heard of some kind of quantum correction mechanism that could be involved but i can't find any good information on this.

Regards
Gravito

Try this:http://uk.arxiv.org/find/hep-ph/1/au:+Amelino_Camelia_G/0/1/0/all/0/1

and links therein?

The implications of experiments showing a violation of Lorentz symmetry would be significant and would challenge our understanding of fundamental physics. This could potentially lead to a reevaluation of our current theories, such as quantum theory and general relativity, and open up new avenues of research.

One possible implication is the existence of extra dimensions. If Lorentz symmetry is violated, it could be a sign that there are hidden dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions and one time dimension that we are familiar with. These extra dimensions could potentially be large loops with different radii, as you suggested, or they could take on a different shape altogether.

Another implication could be the need for a new theory that can reconcile quantum theory and general relativity. Both of these theories are based on the principle of Lorentz symmetry, so a violation of this principle would require a new framework that can explain the observed phenomena. This could potentially lead to the development of a theory of quantum gravity, which is currently one of the biggest unsolved problems in physics.

Furthermore, a violation of Lorentz symmetry could also have implications for the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. As you mentioned, there could be Planck-sized extra dimensions that are aligned against our spatial dimensions and affect the properties of particles in our world. This could potentially lead to a better understanding of the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions.

It is also worth mentioning that the concept of Lorentz symmetry is deeply ingrained in our current understanding of physics, so a violation of this principle would require a significant paradigm shift. It would challenge our fundamental assumptions about the nature of space and time and could potentially open up new frontiers in our study of the universe.

In terms of the quantum correction mechanism you mentioned, I am not familiar with a specific theory related to this. However, it is possible that such a mechanism could play a role in explaining the violation of Lorentz symmetry and would require further investigation.

In conclusion, a violation of Lorentz symmetry would have far-reaching implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to breakthroughs in our quest to understand the fundamental laws of nature. It is an exciting area of research that continues to challenge and push the boundaries of our knowledge.

1. What is Lorentz violation?

Lorentz violation is a concept in physics that suggests the fundamental principles of the Lorentz symmetry, which underlies Einstein's theory of special relativity, may not hold true in certain scenarios. This means that the laws of physics may not be the same for all observers moving at different velocities.

2. How does Lorentz violation relate to extra dimensions?

One possible explanation for Lorentz violation is the existence of extra dimensions beyond the four dimensions (three spatial dimensions and one time dimension) that we are familiar with. These extra dimensions could introduce new symmetries and alter the fundamental laws of physics, leading to Lorentz violation.

3. What implications does Lorentz violation have for quantum theory?

Lorentz violation can have significant implications for quantum theory, as it can affect the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. It could potentially lead to violations of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and other fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Can Lorentz violation be tested experimentally?

Yes, there have been several experiments conducted to test for Lorentz violation, including precise measurements of the speed of light and observations of cosmic rays. However, the results have been inconclusive so far, and more research is needed to fully understand the implications of Lorentz violation.

5. How could the discovery of Lorentz violation impact our understanding of the universe?

If Lorentz violation is confirmed and its implications are fully understood, it could potentially lead to a major shift in our understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of the universe. It could also open up new avenues for research and possibly even new technologies.