What is the Minimum Size Limit for Keeping Paddlefish?

• Thread starter Townsend
  • Start date
In summary, the fisherman caught a paddlefish. They let it go because it was too big. They expect to catch a keeper this weekend. The fish is strange looking and prehistoric looking.
Townsend
Caught my first paddlefish!

But...no one brought a camera. I had to actually let this one go because he was 35.5'' and anything between 35 and 45 inches you have to let go. I'll get one tomorrow though and post a pic...:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow that's a odd fish! Where are you fishing at? We don't have them where I live..do people eat them?

hypatia said:
..do people eat them?
Really, hypatia!
How can it be used in a canoe then?

hypatia said:
Wow that's a odd fish! Where are you fishing at? We don't have them where I live..do people eat them?

Gavins point Dam near Yankton in South Dakota of course...:smile:

I caught two more today but had to let them go because they were in the size range that I had to let them go. I'll get a keeper this weekend and post a pic...

Well here are the pics I promised...I didn't actually get to keep any fish because they were all the wrong sizes to keep but I do have some pics...

The first is of me fishing...take note of the size of the fishing pole and reel...
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9131/fishing0kz.jpg [Broken]

The second one is of me and my father in law holding up a paddlefish he caught...we let this fish go as well in case anyone is wondering.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9747/paddlefish2ts.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I DID notice the size of your fishing pole, Townsend, at your request. Very nice!

Nice fish, too.

arildno said:
I DID notice the size of your fishing pole, Townsend, at your request. Very nice!

Nice fish, too.
:rofl: thanks...I think..:smile:

I guess you are more enthusiastic about the fish, though..:frown:

arildno said:
I guess you are more enthusiastic about the fish, though..:frown:

Sorry to disappoint you, I can’t help being straight any more than you can help being gay. I have never seen a picture of you but I do find you very attractive based on your incredibly large intelligence...if that's any kind of consolation to you...:blushing:

Last edited:
:biggrin:
Townsend said:
Sorry to disappoint you, I can’t help being straight any more than you can help being gay. I have never seen a picture of you but I do find you very attractive based on your incredibly large intelligence...if that's any kind of consolation...:blushing:
:biggrin: I was trying to make a joke upon the various meanings of "fish", but it wasn't any good, I think. :cry:
It was never meant to be a come on, although it was intentionally phrased as such. That is admirably clear, right? :smile:

Wow, big fish Townsend.

Standing out with just your shirtsleeves in SD this time of year? I had heard it was only in the 30s and 40s already (one of our post-docs is out there on an interview right now, so she was checking the weather before heading out...I told her that alone would be reason enough for me to never set foot in SD outside of the months of July and August).

What a strange looking fish! It looks prehistoric.

Um...yeah, ditto what arildno said...nice fishing pole. :biggrin: :blushing:

arildno said:
That is admirably clear, right? :smile:

:redface: I was actually flattered but now I'm just embarrassed...

oh well...

Moonbear said:
Standing out with just your shirtsleeves in SD this time of year?

I've been out in below freezing weather wearing just a tee shirt and shorts...cold dosen't bother me, in fact I like it a lot.

What a strange looking fish! It looks prehistoric.

Yes it actually is...it was nearly extinct 10 years ago. Gavins Point Dam has a hugh fish hatchery that that has really helped to bring the paddlefish back.

Um...yeah, ditto what arildno said...nice fishing pole. :biggrin: :blushing:

:blushing:

Townsend said:
I've been out in below freezing weather wearing just a tee shirt and shorts...cold dosen't bother me, in fact I like it a lot.
You'd have to like it a lot to live in SD! Brrrrrrrr! If I ever visit the state, I'll have to get you to keep me warm. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
You'd have to like it a lot to live in SD! Brrrrrrrr!
I do...I love snow too. The only complaint I have is that the winters are sometimes too long. Once March comes around I cannot wait for spring!

If I ever visit the state, I'll have to get you to keep me warm. :biggrin:

:blushing:

Ah, you remind me of Jessica Gavreau, a girl from Maine that I went to college with for a while. She and I would go out in the snow sometimes wearing just our underwear.

Oh, and nice fish. I really need to get out there. I don't think I've fished since I was a teenager.

Glad to hear you had fun terrorizing the poor animal

hypatia said:
do people eat them?
That thing is way to ugly to eat!:yuck: It deserves to be extinct.

ron damon said:
Glad to hear you had fun terrorizing the poor animal

If you want to complain about something do it in your own worthless thread. Its rude to crap on people's threads because you have an opinion that you feel the world has to hear.

Danger said:
That thing is way to ugly to eat!:yuck: It deserves to be extinct.

It is very good actually...taste sort of like walleye mixed with yellow fin tuna...that's the best I can do.

I was sort of letting my tastebuds run my fingers for a while. I don't like fresh-water fish of any kind.:tongue:

Townsend said:
If you want to complain about something do it in your own worthless thread. Its rude to crap on people's threads because you have an opinion that you feel the world has to hear.
sad.gif

What is a paddlefish?

A paddlefish is a type of primitive fish found in freshwater lakes and rivers in North America. It is known for its long, paddle-like snout and can grow up to 7 feet in length.

How did I catch my first paddlefish?

Paddlefish are typically caught by anglers using a specialized fishing technique called snagging. This involves casting a large, weighted treble hook and quickly jerking it back to hook the fish in the mouth or body.

What should I do if I catch a paddlefish?

If you catch a paddlefish, it is important to handle it carefully and quickly release it back into the water. These fish are protected in many states and may require a special permit to keep.

How old can paddlefish live to be?

Paddlefish have been known to live up to 30 years in the wild. However, due to overfishing and habitat destruction, their average lifespan is closer to 20 years.

Why are paddlefish important to the ecosystem?

Paddlefish play a crucial role in their ecosystems as filter feeders. They help to keep the water clean by consuming large amounts of plankton and other small organisms. They also serve as a food source for other fish and wildlife.