Is transferring to a different school the solution for my low GPA in CSE?

• Thread starter Llama77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cse
In summary, the person is currently a Computer/Electrical engineering student at the University at Buffalo and loves the topics of the discipline. They consider themselves a good student, but their GPA is not great due to being a poor test taker and having a learning disability. They feel like they could do better at a different school, but recognize that the courses would be harder there. The person is considering transferring to a better school, but it is advised for them to stick it out, raise their grades, and potentially go to grad school at another school.
Llama77
I am currently a Computer/Electrical engineering student at the University at Buffalo. I do truly love the topics of the discipline and love to learn. I think that I am a good student, I try to learn as much as possible, I go above and beyond and learn more than they teach. Even though I feel I am a good student my gpa is not so great it is only a 2.84, I am just not a good test taker and I also have a learning disability, but i don't use it as a crutch. Like I mentioned before I go to the University at Buffalo and while I feel they have a pretty good CS and EE department, I simply feel I could do better. The school is cheap and I pretty much go for free, I only have to pay for food and living. I don't feel my grades are going to get much better, I feel they will stay pretty consistent and I feel this is good even though the classes later in the curriculum will become much harder. Should I or could I try to go to a better school, I just kinda feel I should be at a better school. Or should I just stick it out

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody>??

LLama...
if you say a "better" school the courses are going to be even harder thus your gpa is going to be even worse. You can be a good student but if your GPA continues to stay that low your going to have a hard time being accepted into the major if there are restrictions and also finding an internship/co-op.

For instance when i was accepted into the Computer Engineering Major at Penn State I had to have a GPA of a 3.5 and above I had a 3.80 So i was accepted.

I then switched to Computer Science because I didn't enjoy the upper level Comp Engineering classes, but even in COmp Sci you had to have a gpa of at least a 3.3 to get accepted.

I don't see what transferring to another university would do. Just stick it out, raise your grades, and go to grad school at another school. The excuse that you are bored, and that the classes are too easy so your GPA is low, does not work in college. At the university level you are expected to be mature, and you must do the work even if it's too easy or you are bored.

Stick it out.

1. What is a CSE transfer?

A CSE transfer refers to the process of transferring from one computer science and engineering program to another. This can happen within the same university or between different universities.

2. How do I know if I am eligible for a CSE transfer?

The eligibility criteria for a CSE transfer vary depending on the university and program. Generally, you will need to have completed a certain number of credits, have a minimum GPA, and meet any specific course requirements for the program you are transferring into.

3. Can I transfer from a non-CSE major to a CSE major?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a non-CSE major to a CSE major. However, you may need to complete some prerequisite courses or have a strong background in computer science and engineering in order to be considered for the transfer.

4. How long does a CSE transfer process usually take?

The time it takes for a CSE transfer process varies depending on individual circumstances and the university's policies. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months for a decision to be made.

5. Will my credits from my previous university be transferred?

It depends on the university's transfer credit policies. Some universities may accept all of your credits, while others may only accept a certain number. It is best to check with the university you are transferring to for their specific policies.