I don't know where i want to transfer to

• Thread starter elementG
  • Start date
In summary: UC Riverside.I hear that UC Davis has a good engineering program, but I don't know much about Civil Engineering in particular. The UC's are suppose to have better engineering departments than CSU's except Cal Poly. You said you are from Norcal. Have you considered UC Berkeley?I've considered UC Berkeley and it has a good civil engineering program.
elementG
hey guys, I'm finishing up on my 2nd year at community college in norcal majoring in civil engineering. with the end of the semester coming, that question pops up in my mind once more. where do i want to transfer to? as of now, my mind is set on going to a uc (university of california) as opposed to the csu (california state university). as much as i want to live the "college" life away from my hometown, i really don't think i would survive, especially as an engineering major. if i choose a uc, ill definitely have to leave home. if i go to a csu, i would have to take 2-3 extra general ed courses at cc but i'll be closer to home. the only closest uc is davis, but i hear their engineering department is horrible. any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Best bet is to visit some of the campuses you're thinking about. Schedule a campus visit and talk with someone in the department. They'll be more than willing (usually) to tell you anything you want to know about the program. You can get a feel for the campus and the department and then decide if you think you can make it away from home.

Also, if you're thinking about transferring this upcoming fall, I think you might be a bit late. I'm transferring this fall as well...most colleges had app deadlines in Jan-Feb...UC was in December, I think. Whenever you plan on transferring, apply to several schools...the financial aid packages and program requirements after transfer might make up your mind for you. That's how I ended up at Rolla this fall: my top choices simply didn't offer enough $$ to make it reasonable to attend.

Good luck!

I hear that UC Davis has a good engineering program, but I don't know much about Civil Engineering in particular. The UC's are suppose to have better engineering departments than CSU's except Cal Poly. You said you are from Norcal. Have you considered UC Berkeley?

SlideMan said:
Best bet is to visit some of the campuses you're thinking about. Schedule a campus visit and talk with someone in the department. They'll be more than willing (usually) to tell you anything you want to know about the program. You can get a feel for the campus and the department and then decide if you think you can make it away from home.

Also, if you're thinking about transferring this upcoming fall, I think you might be a bit late. I'm transferring this fall as well...most colleges had app deadlines in Jan-Feb...UC was in December, I think. Whenever you plan on transferring, apply to several schools...the financial aid packages and program requirements after transfer might make up your mind for you. That's how I ended up at Rolla this fall: my top choices simply didn't offer enough $$ to make it reasonable to attend.

Good luck!
yeah i won't be transferring until spring 2010, still a long way to go. definitely ill visit some campuses and talk with engineering majors/faculty and the like.
bubbles said:
I hear that UC Davis has a good engineering program, but I don't know much about Civil Engineering in particular. The UC's are suppose to have better engineering departments than CSU's except Cal Poly. You said you are from Norcal. Have you considered UC Berkeley?

see I've been getting mixed reviews about uc davis. some say its really bad, then others say its really good. i have considered berkeley and i will apply there, but I am just not feeling berkeley.

1. Where should I begin my search for potential transfer universities?

The best place to start is by researching and gathering information about different universities that offer programs in your field of interest. You can also speak with academic advisors, current students, and alumni to gain insights into the transfer process and the universities you are considering.

2. How do I know if a university is a good fit for me?

It is important to consider factors such as the academic programs, location, size, campus culture, and resources available at a university. You can also attend campus tours, information sessions, and speak with current students to get a better understanding of the university's environment and whether it aligns with your needs and goals.

3. What are the requirements for transferring to a new university?

The requirements for transferring vary depending on the university and program you are interested in. Generally, you will need to have completed a certain number of college credits, meet a minimum GPA requirement, and submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. It is important to check the specific transfer requirements for each university you are considering.

4. Can I transfer to a university in a different state or country?

Yes, you can transfer to a university in a different state or country. However, keep in mind that transfer requirements and processes may differ for international transfers. It is important to research and understand the transfer policies and requirements for each university you are considering.

5. Will my credits transfer to a new university?

Most universities have transfer credit equivalency tools or advisors who can help you determine which credits will transfer. It is important to note that not all credits may transfer, and it may depend on the university's policies and the grades you received in those courses. It is best to speak with an academic advisor at your current university and the potential transfer university to understand your credit transfer options.