How much of an advantage do I have in EE w/an associates in electronics?

In summary, Drummer will have an advantage in school due to his previous education in electrical engineering technology. However, no one can really say whether or not they themselves will pursue an engineering degree of any kind.
drummerguy198
Assuming I actually get the position, I will be interning this summer at one of the Hydroelectric dams in Alabama (working for Alabama Power of course). As far as course work, I will be graduating with Knowledge of trigonometric AC circuit analysis, DC circuit Analysis, Analog electronics (BJT amplifiers, UJT amplifiers, Operational Amps, Optoelectronics, etc.), Motor Controls (Relays, Timers, Motor Starters, Thermal OL protection), Electric Motors themselves, Programmable Logic Controllers, Biomedical Electronics (Which is my "minor"), Instrumentation, Process Controls, Java Programming, Network architecture, Wireless Communication Devices, and much more.

From that list, will I have a reasonable "head start" on most other students?

Will I be at a disadvantage in any way?

Did any of you receive your Associates degree before heading to engineering school?

Engineering news on Phys.org
On your first day of circuits I...you're teacher is going to give away the magic formula:

V=IR

After that...the playing field will be level:)

I did a electrical engineering technology course before starting electrical engineering. But I have yet to finish EE school, so I can't give you much info on how useful your previous education is. Sounds like you really did a lot though...

plus I am bridging into third yr engineering, if you are starting engineering from the beginning, no big deal.

drummerguy198 said:
Assuming I actually get the position, I will be interning this summer at one of the Hydroelectric dams in Alabama (working for Alabama Power of course). As far as course work, I will be graduating with Knowledge of trigonometric AC circuit analysis, DC circuit Analysis, Analog electronics (BJT amplifiers, UJT amplifiers, Operational Amps, Optoelectronics, etc.), Motor Controls (Relays, Timers, Motor Starters, Thermal OL protection), Electric Motors themselves, Programmable Logic Controllers, Biomedical Electronics (Which is my "minor"), Instrumentation, Process Controls, Java Programming, Network architecture, Wireless Communication Devices, and much more.

From that list, will I have a reasonable "head start" on most other students?

Will I be at a disadvantage in any way?

Did any of you receive your Associates degree before heading to engineering school?

Won't the other interns have electrical backgrounds as well?

DragonPetter said:
Won't the other interns have electrical backgrounds as well?

The other interns will be on my level (pursuing an Associates Degree). However, no one can really say whether or not they themselves will pursue an engineering degree of any kind (other than them).

Drummer,

You will obviously have an advantage over your new classmates.

Your next challenge in school will likely be differential equations and how they relate to RC, RL and RLC circuits. Get through this and you are home in my opinion. And through every transient micro-second of your circuit...V still equals IR. Amazing, I know.

psparky said:
Drummer,

You will obviously have an advantage over your new classmates.

Your next challenge in school will likely be differential equations and how they relate to RC, RL and RLC circuits. Get through this and you are home in my opinion. And through every transient micro-second of your circuit...V still equals IR. Amazing, I know.

Yeah. It was a pretty common sense question. I have a bad habit of asking questions to which I should already, and usually do know the answer. I normally just like a second opinion.

And in regards to Ohm's Law, I love how, no matter how crazy things may look, it all goes back to the basics.

Thanks for the answers, even if it was pretty obvious from the beginning. I just wanted to know from someone who had actually already been there.

1. How much of an advantage will having an associates degree in electronics give me in the field of electrical engineering?

The advantage you will have with an associates degree in electronics will depend on various factors such as your skills, knowledge, and experience in the field. However, having this degree can give you a solid foundation in electronics and prepare you for further education or entry-level positions in the electrical engineering field.

2. Will an associates degree in electronics be sufficient for a career in electrical engineering?

An associates degree in electronics can be a good start for a career in electrical engineering, but it may not be sufficient for certain roles that require a higher level of education. It is recommended to continue your education and obtain a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering to have more opportunities and advance in your career.

3. Can I get a job as an electrical engineer with just an associates degree in electronics?

While some entry-level positions in electrical engineering may only require an associates degree, most employers prefer candidates with a bachelor's degree or higher. However, your associates degree can still help you land a job in the field if you have relevant experience and skills.

4. How will an associates degree in electronics benefit me in the field of electrical engineering?

An associates degree in electronics can provide you with a strong understanding of basic electrical concepts and hands-on experience with electronic systems. This knowledge and skills can be beneficial in various roles within the electrical engineering field, such as electronic technician or engineering technician.

5. Are there any specific areas within electrical engineering where an associates degree in electronics is particularly useful?

An associates degree in electronics can be useful in areas such as electronics design, testing, and troubleshooting. It can also be helpful in roles that involve working with electronic devices and circuits. However, for more specialized roles, a higher level of education may be required.