Lattice Energy and the Born Haber Cycle

In summary, the Born Haber Cycle is a method used to calculate the lattice energy of compounds such as NaCl. To find the lattice energy, one must know the atomisation energy of each element, the first ionisation energy, the atomisation energy of the compound, the first electron affinity, and the enthalpy of formation. By rearranging the equation, one can easily calculate the lattice energy.
President Mercury
Ok most questions (that I have come across) when dealing with the Born Haber Cycle give the Sublimation energy, the Dissociation energy, the Electron Affinity, the Ionization Energy, and the Formation Energy. I know that to get the Formation Energy it is:

Hf= Hs+Hi.e.+1/2Hd+He.a.+U (Lattice Energy)

My problem is that if everything but the lattice energy is given what is the calculations to get the lattice energy. I know the lattice energy for some examples like NaCl but that's just from memory, I just don't know how to get the lattice energy (assuming that I didn't memorize it) by using a calculation. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Answered on another thread

using born haber cycle...right

to find lattice energy of NaCl
you should know...
1. Atomisation energy of Na...dH1
2. First Ionisation energy of Na...dH2
3. Atomistaion Energy of Cl2...dH3
4. First Electron Affinity of Cl...dH4
5. enthalpy of formation NaCl...dH5

lattice energy will be dH6

one route to form NaCl is via the enthalpy of formation of NaCl... which is -424kJmol-1

a second route is by:

1. Atomising Na(s) Na(s) ------> Na(g) dH1: +105kJmol-1
2. First Ionising Na(g) Na(g) -------> Na+(g) + e- dH2: +494kJmol-1
3. Atomising Cl2(g) 1/2Cl2(g) -------> Cl(g) dH3: +122kJmol-1
4. First e- affinity Cl(g) Cl(g) + e- -------> Cl-(g) dH4: -364kJmol-1
5. Lattice Energy Na+(g) + Cl-(g) -------> NaCl dH6

dH5 = dH1 + dH2 + dH3 + dH4 + dH6
using the above values... dH6 = -781kJmol-1

hope i helped you...

note: from the eqn above(which i didn't completely understand ;-) ) by making the lattice energy subject of formula you can easily find it... (if I'm not wrong!)

U (Lattice Energy) = Hf - Hs - Hi.e - 1/2Hd - He.a

What is lattice energy?

Lattice energy is the energy required to break apart an ionic solid into its constituent ions in the gas phase. It is a measure of the strength of the ionic bonds within the solid.

How is lattice energy calculated?

Lattice energy can be calculated using the Born-Haber cycle, which takes into account the enthalpy changes involved in the formation of an ionic compound from its constituent elements. It is also affected by factors such as the charge and size of the ions.

What is the significance of lattice energy?

Lattice energy plays an important role in determining the physical and chemical properties of ionic compounds. It affects properties such as melting and boiling points, solubility, and crystal structure.

How does lattice energy relate to the stability of ionic compounds?

Higher lattice energies indicate stronger ionic bonds, which in turn make the compound more stable. Therefore, compounds with higher lattice energies tend to be more stable and less reactive.

What factors affect lattice energy?

As mentioned before, the charge and size of the ions have a significant impact on lattice energy. Other factors include the arrangement of ions in the crystal lattice, the polarizability of ions, and the electronic configuration of the constituent elements.