Density of 5% enriched Uranium

In summary, the density of Uranium enriched to the 5% level is approximately 14300 kg/m3 (14.3 g/cm3). This information can be found in a paper on metal nitrides, as well as a paper on the physical properties of Uranium Mononitride. Both papers are available for purchase.
engineer23
I can't seem to find a value for Uranium enriched to the 5% level. Does anyone know it or know where I can find it?

THanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Of uranium metal, UO2, or UN or UC, or U-silicide, U-Al, U-hydride?

UN (Uranium Nitride)

A quick number would be 14300 kg/m3 (14.3 g/cm3), but let me see if I can find a better value and the caveats.

I did a quick check and the number stated is the best that I can find.

Here is a paper on metal nitrides including UN.
https://e-reports-ext.llnl.gov/pdf/301728.pdf

Also, see this paper - Steven L. Hayes, James Kelly Thomas, and Kenneth L. Peddicord, "Material Properties of Uranium Mononitride: Part I. Physical Properties," Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 171, 262-270 (1990). One can purchase it from Science Direct.

Last edited:

What is the density of 5% enriched Uranium?

The density of 5% enriched Uranium varies based on its form and isotopic composition. Generally, it ranges from 19.1 to 19.4 grams per cubic centimeter.

How is the density of 5% enriched Uranium measured?

The density of 5% enriched Uranium is typically measured using a device called a pycnometer, which measures the volume of a sample and compares it to the mass to calculate density.

Why is the density of 5% enriched Uranium important?

The density of 5% enriched Uranium is important for several reasons. It affects the performance and efficiency of nuclear reactors, as well as the design and safety of nuclear fuel elements. It also plays a role in the transportation and storage of nuclear materials.

How does the density of 5% enriched Uranium compare to other nuclear fuels?

The density of 5% enriched Uranium is higher than other commonly used nuclear fuels, such as natural Uranium or low-enriched Uranium. This makes it more efficient and cost-effective for use in nuclear reactors.

Can the density of 5% enriched Uranium change over time?

Yes, the density of 5% enriched Uranium can change over time due to radioactive decay. As the Uranium atoms decay, they release energy and transform into other elements, which can affect the overall density of the material.