Find Coefficient of x^3 in (2x^2-3/x)^3

In summary: Yeah, that's what I mean by finite series. You could also just forget about pascal's triangle and multiply it out. The power is only 3.
Stacyg
Find the coefficient of x^3 in the expansion of (2x^2-3/x)^3

I know how to do simple coefficients using pascalles triangle but I really don't know how to do this.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write it as

[tex](2x^2 - 3x^{-1})^3[/tex]

From Pascal's triangle, you know how to expand

[tex](a+b)^n[/tex]

What can you replace with a and what can you replace with b?

[tex](2x^2-\frac{3}{x})^3[/tex]

[tex] (\frac{1}{x}(2x^3-3))^3[/tex]

How about now?

Oh, that's a nice way of doing it :)

Tedjn said:
Oh, that's a nice way of doing it :)

Usually (well for me), a binomial expansion is usually done with a variable and a constant.

as for [itex](a+b)^n[/itex] is valid for [itex]|\frac{b}{a}|<1[/itex] But if a and b are variables, you'll have to do some fancy algebra to get the range for which it is valid.

rock.freak667 said:
Usually (well for me), a binomial expansion is usually done with a variable and a constant.

as for [itex](a+b)^n[/itex] is valid for [itex]|\frac{b}{a}|<1[/itex] But if a and b are variables, you'll have to do some fancy algebra to get the range for which it is valid.

Why is it only valid in some range? I also don't see why you need to factor the original. (a+b)^3=a^3+3*a^2*b+3*a*b^2+b^3. Just put a=2x^2 and b=(-3/x), figure out which term is the x^3 term and evaluate it.

That's what I was taught.."validity of a binomial"

rock.freak667 said:
That's what I was taught.."validity of a binomial"

Got a reference? If you are thinking of the convergence of the infinite series for negative exponents, that is something to think about. But this is a positive exponent, the series is finite. There are no convergence issues.

Besides, we're dealing with polynomials in the case of (a+b)^n

BrendanH said:
Besides, we're dealing with polynomials in the case of (a+b)^n

Yeah, that's what I mean by finite series. You could also just forget about pascal's triangle and multiply it out. The power is only 3.

1. What is a coefficient?

A coefficient is a numerical or constant value that is multiplied by a variable in an algebraic expression. It represents the scale or magnitude of the variable.

2. How do you find the coefficient of x^3 in an expression?

To find the coefficient of x^3 in an expression, you need to identify the term that contains x^3 and then determine the numerical value that is multiplied by x^3. In the expression (2x^2-3/x)^3, the term that contains x^3 is (2x^2)^3. The coefficient of x^3 is 8 (2x^2 multiplied by 2x^2 multiplied by 2).

3. What is the process for finding the coefficient of x^3 in a binomial raised to a power?

The process for finding the coefficient of x^3 in a binomial raised to a power involves using the binomial theorem. This theorem states that the coefficient of x^n in the expansion of (a+b)^n is given by the binomial coefficient, which is n choose k, where k is the power of x in the term. In the expression (2x^2-3/x)^3, the binomial coefficient is 3 choose 1, which is equal to 3. Therefore, the coefficient of x^3 is 3(2x^2)^3, which simplifies to 24.

4. Can you explain the meaning of the coefficient of x^3 in an expression?

The coefficient of x^3 in an expression represents how many times x^3 appears in that expression. In other words, it tells us the number of terms that contain x^3. In the expression (2x^2-3/x)^3, the coefficient of x^3 is 8, which means that there are 8 terms in the expansion that contain x^3.

5. How is finding the coefficient of x^3 useful in solving equations?

Finding the coefficient of x^3 can be useful in solving equations because it helps us determine the degree of the equation. The degree of an equation is the highest power of the variable that appears in the expression. In this case, the coefficient of x^3 is 8, which means that the equation is of degree 3. By knowing the degree, we can determine the number of possible solutions and the complexity of the equation.